Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic MonoDevelop support? (Read 9565 times)
Fabien

MonoDevelop support?
Dec 1st, 2012 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Hi,

I want to thank you for creating this awesome extension for Visual Studio: replacing the Arduino "IDE" with a professional development environment was much needed, even though AVR Studio 6 and Eclipse are viable alternatives, VS is better in my opinion.

My only wish would be to be able to run Visual Micro on platforms other than Windows and if I may, I have a suggestion  for you Wink

I sincerely believe that Linux and Mac users would appreciate your hard work if they could run Visual Micro on their respective OS. I also believe that the Windows audience for Visual Micro would greatly benefit from being able to use a free, OSS development environment such as MonoDevelop: http://monodevelop.com/.

Disclaimer: I'm in no way associated with MonoDevelop or Xamarin. I just appreciate their tools and their ethos.

MonoDevelop works on Windows, Linux and Mac and is a solid alternative to any version of Visual Studio. More importantly, MonoDevelop supports extensions, called add-ins, which would allow porting Visual Micro over: http://monodevelop.com/Developers/Articles/Creating_a_Simple_Add-in

I believe this would immensely broaden the appeal and the market for this already fantastic extension and its essential companion debugger.

Best regards,
-Fabien.

IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Re: MonoDevelop support?
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 5:03am
Print Post  
Looks very interesting. I for one would love to be NOT tied in to Microsoft.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2012 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info about Mono addins. I've considered mono a few times but not sure if the plugin stuff was available when I looked.

I agree it would be nice, I'll take a look at it again when I get a mo.

Thanks again for the useful links!

IP Logged

Vaupell
Newbies

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
I'm sorry for bumbing a VERY old thread.
But I'm one of those guys that uses the search function on the web.

But out of curiosity did this idea ever go anywhere.
As a monodevelop user, I use it on a daily basis and very often also the arduino IDE.

If i could do my development in monodevelop entirely.
And Even though the developer indicates it's mac and linux  user.  I'm a windows monodevelop user.

Just browsing the web for something to replace the arduino IDE.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Hi Fabien,

Thanks for the very useful links. I hope we can do something end of this year or early next. It wouldn't be too difficult to implement a slightly less smooth version in Mono quite quickly.

I agree that VS, if you have it, is better than Atmel in many ways however Atmel has some strengths that might help it shine above the rest. We are currently adding increased support in atmel studo allowing hybrid cpp projects with easy access to linked or copied source code from the Arduino core. Hopefully this gives the ability to compile Arduino combined with easier access to the native debug tools that exist in Atmel Studio. A good example if the on-chip debugging that the soon to be released Arduino Zero provides. 

Atmel also understands the Arduino Gcc syntax better than pure microsoft c++ in VS but because the VS intellisense engine is more responsive they both have their strengths in that area.

Zero debugger aside it might be that Mono fits between both camps very well. I'll ping you an email when an early beta is available but don't expect it to be immediate.

Unfortunately Microsoft are dumping the addin system and moving entirely to extensions. It's not an immediate issue but requires a lerge part of the front end (UI) of vm to be re-written. Hopefully the work can be completed at the same time as the mono work pushing as much as possible into standard libs in the same way that we currently have the compiler/build/upload in an isolated non ide dependent manner.

I suspect that for max and linux file names and a few other things will need a little more consideration so if you hear of a developer that knows the various Ide's and is looking for employment please let me know.

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint