Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Expressions window not coming up until Serial port is disconnected and reconnected (Read 10053 times)
Casey
Newbies

Expressions window not coming up until Serial port is disconnected and reconnected
Mar 21st, 2014 at 5:42am
Print Post  
When debugging using VisualMicro and an Arduino the expressions (watch) window does not come up when I start in debug mode.  However, if I go to the serial monitor for the Arduino and deselect and reselect the check mark next to "connect" then the expressions window pops up and all is well.

I'm using the latest release versions of all software:
Atmel Studio 6.1.2730
Arduino 1.0.5-r2
VisualMicro (downloaded yesterday)
My Arduino is a Mega2560 R3

Any ideas what is going on here? 

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Expressions window not coming up until Serial port is disconnected and reconnected
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks for the good version info!

I assume you are clicking F5 or debug>start, the program uploads the serial monitor then shows it has connected but the expressions window does not open?

If you tick the re-connect checkbox does this fix it?

Can you please zip and email the Visual Micro folder below your sketch to info [at] visualmicro.com

Thanks

IP Logged

Casey
Newbies

Re: Expressions window not coming up until Serial port is disconnected and reconnected
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
Yes.  Running the code in debug mode (F5) there is no Expressions window.  In the serial port, if I unselect "Connect" and then reselect "Connect" then the Expressions window pops up and it's fixed.  I have no idea why reconnecting to the Mega would be needed for debug/ expressions to start.

Code coming over email now...

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Hi Casey,

Received the files thanks.

Can you confirm which serial port your code is working with or pls zip and email the sketch.

I notice a comment in a code snippet that commenting the delay(250) in your sketch code causes serial problems. Is this still the case or relevant?

When the expression window does not open, does the Micro Trace show the Arduino is running? Does an entry get printed in the trace every 250ms (approx)?

Thanks

IP Logged

Casey
Newbies

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Hi Tim-

I have the same behavior with any sketch.  I just added a debug breakpoint to blink and I get the same behavior.  Interestingly enough, it works fine the 1st time (or if I reset the user interface from Visual Micro in the Tools menu) but each time after that I have to double toggle the connect checkbox in the Serial window to the Expressions to pop up.

I'm using COM3, which is the port my Mega2560 has been enumerating to.

When the expressions window is not open, the Micro Debug Trace in Output doesn't show anything at all.  Neither does Micro Debug Message.  After double toggling the COM port then Micro Debug Trace starts working correctly (as does the Expressions window).

The comment from the sketch I sent is old and has to do with communications working with the PC.  Blink has no such complexity, so it's probably easier to debug using Blink.

Because this seems to be happening for all sketches, I think it's a system/ config/ install issue.  I'm running Win7 64-bit on a Macbook pro (using Bootcamp).

Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
Casey

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Hi Casey,

Thanks for such clear information it really helps.

Is the re-connect checkbox on the Serial Monitor ticked? 

Which version of Visual Micro are you using tools>options>visual micro>version>version?

Thanks

IP Logged

Casey
Newbies

Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Tim-

Checking "Reconnect" in the Serial | COM window did it.

Now the expressions box pops up right away.  I now see you suggested this the first time, but I misinterpreted it as re-checking the connect box.  My bad.

Thanks again for the help,
Casey

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2014 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Hi Casey,

Great. Actually you were right it wasn't really a suggestion just a question.

After upload Visual Micro will wait for a few seconds for the port to become available, it sounds the port is there but it can't be opened for probably 4 or 5 seconds after upload.

We need a status message and/or longer wait/timeout.

Thanks very much for reporting

« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2014 at 8:03pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

stevech

Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Is there a way to not have the expressions window open at all? Or be minimized and out of the way?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Why not just move it and pin it?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint