Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Serial Monitor (Read 7711 times)
Fex

Serial Monitor
Jul 21st, 2014 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I have a suggestion for the Serial Monitor. It would be great if I could somehow control the way it translates my input into bytes. 

Sometimes I just want to send a specific byte for debugging purposes and I end up sending a char that has a totally different value. Also when coding low-level hardware it might be handy to be able to input binary strings (e.g. b101010). 

Let me know what you think!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Serial Monitor
Reply #1 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks for the feed back. Yes we would like to provide more functionality in the serial monitor.

There is a fine line to walk between support, changes to the arduino/vs platform and implementing everything possible.

Hopefully as people support the project by helping to improve the documentation and buying the upgrade we will be able to invest in the really useful stuff.

Personally, I would like to see logging from the Serial Monitor to text/files/db etc.

One small thing that might not be applicable for you but worth considering is using the debugger trial. It allows you to declare variables that you can update without need to recompile. The variable update system uses the same params that we have for serial.print in arduino

myVar,BIN
myVar,HEX

Etc.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
ps: 

The build process and serial tools work the same way as the Arduino Ide. This keeps the documentation similar and ensures projects remain compatible with the Arduino Ide.

IP Logged

stevech

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
re below... you can use a terminal program such as Bray's Terminal. It has lots of options for stored macros, display in hex, etc. You could setup macros which correspond to hex bytes. Then click the macro #n button to send it.
Here's one of many download sites.
https://sites.google.com/site/terminalbpp/

Fex wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 7:56pm:
Hi,

I have a suggestion for the Serial Monitor. It would be great if I could somehow control the way it translates my input into bytes. 

Sometimes I just want to send a specific byte for debugging purposes and I end up sending a char that has a totally different value. Also when coding low-level hardware it might be handy to be able to input binary strings (e.g. b101010). 

Let me know what you think!

IP Logged

rpetz
Newbies

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2015 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jul 21st, 2014 at 8:55pm:
The build process and serial tools work the same way as the Arduino Ide. This keeps the documentation similar and ensures projects remain compatible with the Arduino Ide.

I hate to bring up an old thread - but I wanted to note on this issue:

I agree that it makes sense to maintain pairity with the Arduino IDE but consider this prime example of why it would make sense to support this feature

I have an arduino running a usb serial bound sketch that needs to communicate back and forth with a host computer.  In writing my library I started to run into intermittent issues with my arduino serial code which I wanted to test.  Using Visual Micro I can connect up to the arduino and set break points; however, it then ties up my serial port for the debugger so I can't run another app to actually send raw bytes to the arduino for testing my messages.

So now, either I can send data to it with my own app or I can debug it in Visual Micro - but I can't do both, so I cannot replicate my issue while debugging the arduino (which is where the issue is happening).

If I were simply able to use the built in serial monitor for Visual Micro to send raw bytes rather than purely ASCII strings then I would be able to debug while also sending sample data over the wire.  I'm sure many others would appreciate this feature as well  Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2015 at 5:14pm by rpetz »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2015 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Thanks. Yes it's always being given more thought.

The cleanest but more cumbersome solution is to have the debugger use a couple of spare digital pins and the softwareSerial option (or only one pin for trace mode). That's if you have spare memory and pin(s).

http://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=Debugging-With-Different-Por...

IP Logged

rpetz
Newbies

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2015 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
That's a feature I didn't know about - thanks, I'll give it a try tonight  Smiley
« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2015 at 11:24pm by rpetz »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint