Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Debug stops when opening Expressions window (Read 7749 times)
Mikaka1

Debug stops when opening Expressions window
Sep 19th, 2014 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Welcome,

I just started the trial of Visual Micro in order to test the debugger, and I have one problem. When I upload sketch in debug mode, the debugger works and displays data in "Micro debug trace" window.
The moment I click on the Expressions window (I also have Serial window open) the debug messages stop, and Serial window reports that it disconnected from the board.
From that point forward I cannot reconnect to the board unless I restart Visual Studio.
After restart I can continue to use debug (without recompiling and uploading sketch) but as soon as I switch to Expressions window, communication halts.

What am I doing wrong??
Also excuse me for anything I didn't do right (here on the forum), this is my first post.
I can post any additional information required.
Sketch is just simple debug test with one function in setup (pinMode) and automatic breakpoint on the loop function, nothing else.

I tried changing speeds of the debugger, but to no avail, it works as long as I don't open the Expressions window. Given that sometimes this window opens automatically, forces me to restart Visual Studio a lot Sad

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Debug stops when opening Expressions window
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks for the good info.

The expressions window should always open if any breakpoints contain {expressions} to watch.

This sounds like it needs a bit of investigation. Can you please confirm which version of Visual Studio or Atmel Studio you are using?

Thanks

IP Logged

Mikaka1

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
[edit] The behavior after connection break is identical to one mentioned in this topic, ie clicking on connect does nothing :/ http://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1408084173

Thanks for fast response, I appreciate it Smiley

Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 Update 3: version 12.0.30723.00
Arduino IDE 1.05

I use hardware COM port for communication:
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-S3 rev 1.0, port is handled by Intel ICH9 controller. I use 9600 baud rate, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, parity none, flow control disabled.
I also disabled FIFO buffers for send and receive but it didn't help.

Board is Atmega328p running at 8 MHz, programmed by USB ASP, connection to PC is done via MAX232 driver.

I use {} syntax, window opens every time, but the first time after Visual Studio restart and first compile-upload it opens not in focus (it is obscured by another window which is sharing the same place - specifically by the Serial window).
Next compile-upload forces window to appear in focus breaking connection. If I manually switch focus to expressions window after first compile-upload connection breaks. After that I always get "failed to open port" when trying to reconnect.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2014 at 7:08pm by Mikaka1 »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks for the clear info, the usb settings should not affect things in this way.

You might be helping to solve this issue. 

I can tell you that if the Serial window becomes hidden it can drop the serial and uncheck the 'Connect' checkbox which would close the Serial.

1)

Can you please either float the serial monitor tool window or dock it into a position where it will not be hidden by other windows as you click around the ide.

This video at 19min 37 seconds starts to show a little of how to move tool windows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFM8_RhIG0U

2)

As a test try to make the editor, expressions window and serial monitor docked and visible.
http://www.visualmicro.com/image.axd?picture=2014%2f7%2fDebugSetVariableRunningE...

3)

Please upload a screen shot when the problem happens showing the serial monitor, expressions and code editor

Thanks
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2014 at 7:12pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Mikaka1

Reply #4 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Sorry I didn't write back earlier I was busy with other things. Thanks for help in solving the issue. You were right, moving Expressions window so it doesn't obscure the Serial window fixed the issue.
The debugger is working fine now, thanks again Smiley

Here's the requested screen shot.
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2014 at 3:27pm by Mikaka1 »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the screen shot. I need to do some testing in 2012 but this might strike a cord ...

I notice the break point name/description is highlighted. There is some code in Visual Micro that attempts to position the cursor to the correct line in the code the break point name is clicked.

This areas has been tested more in 2008 and 2010 hence the 2012/2013 system will get a bit more a test in this area.

As a wild guess it sounds like a cross thread issue attempting to select and activate a line of code when the expressions windows is also being clicked/activated. What happens if you click a variable/expression name, column heading or "value" to activate the window instead of clicking the breakpoint name?

IP Logged

Mikaka1

Reply #6 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
I'm sorry but I don't fully understand what do you want me to try. Could you clarify, or post some screenshot which would help me get the idea?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the delay.

In your picture the expressions window has blue highlight on the breakpoint description. This means you clicked the description to activate the window? What happens if you click a different area (not a breakpoint description) to activate the window?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint