Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Couple of bugs spotted (Read 4229 times)
garlicbread

Couple of bugs spotted
Feb 1st, 2015 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Hi I'm currently using the following:

Visual Studio 2013 (Ultimate)
Visual Micro 1412.10 Sp6 (registered)
Arduino Due

I've spotted a couple of bugs in relation to the serial console

1. For the first bug

with debug turned off
(Tools -> visual micro -> Auto debugging = unticked, Project properties -> Micro Debug = None)

I've noticed that the serial console window doesn't show data coming in from the board
if I just check the "Connect" tick box on it's own in the serial console window

If I also click on the blue / square button on the main toolbar (show the serial monitor tool window)
even if the window is already shown
then I start to see inbound data from the board via serial.print

this suggests there's some missing init code behind the "Connect" tickbox, which is called when clicking the
show serial console button

2. For the next bug

with debug turned on
(Tools -> visual micro -> Auto debugging = ticked, Project properties -> Micro Debug = Full)

If I hit the Debug button to trigger a compile and upload to the board
it seems to have problems disconnecting the serial console window from the previous session
(I have to manually disconnect in the serial console window before I can do a 2nd upload)
this doesn't seem to be the case with debug turned off
also if the device is physically disconnected while this is going on, this can cause visual studio to crash / bomb out
generally the serial comms seems more unstable with debugging turned on
at a guess it's related to the code that handles recieving breakpoints within VM

having debug turned off seems generally more stable serial wise than with it turned on

3. Colour theme
It looks like any VM WPF windows within Visual Studio use the default colours, instead of inheriting the
colours from the current visual studio set
(so if your using a black theme, you'll still get white / blue windows for the VM serial monitor for example)
that's probably just a bug in relation to WPF theme inheritance

Good work by the way, even without debugging this is a kick ass plugin for studio. Especially since studio now has git supportĀ  Smiley

The next thing I'll be looking into is using a J-Link segger since the due is arm based, although to get that to work I'll probably have to use visual gdb if that works in this sort of setup.

One idea for the future would be to include gdb support so that you could single step / debug via segger's gdb server since the edu version is fairly cheap from adafruit (although it only works for arm)

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Couple of bugs spotted
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks for the post.

1 & 2 are probably confused because visual micro versions since mid last year have "tools>visual micro>automatic debugging". You have to switch that off before making clean use of the (Micro debug) project property. Novice users were unable to find the project property or to understand how the debugger can be enabled per project/configuration. So please either switch off automatic debug or do not use the project property to enable debug.

The easiest way to switch between release and debug is to use automatic debugging and then the tool bar to switch configuration name between "Release" and "Debug".

I also suggest switching off "auto reconnect" on the serial monitor if you encounter strange issues surrounding ports. The auto-reconnect simply detects unplug/plug of the usb ports and some driver do not like to be monitored in his way.

The colour theme will probably be considered when we move to a VS2015 extension which requires the tool windows to be re-written using wpf.

Yes we are looking at some advanced gdb integration later this year. You might want to try using atmel studio in the meantime because it already supports gdb by clicking "file>open object file for debugging". For pure Arduino, it's not as smooth as the vm version will be.

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Couple of bugs spotted
Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2016 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Segger is now supported in Atmel Studio.

Working without .ino files is also supported so we get to press F5 to build arduino then debug using atmel studio

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint