Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic MultiWii pre2.4 debuging problem (Read 5250 times)
Leon11t
Newbies

MultiWii pre2.4 debuging problem
Mar 6th, 2015 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Hi all. I'm trying debug a MultiWii pre2.4, but in finish line I have a few errors and process is stoped. In release mode everything is ok, project compiling without problem.
I'm using Atmel Studio 6.2, Arduino IDE 1.0.3,  Arduino IDE 1.6 and last version of Visual Micro plugin. 
Flight controller is Crius AIO v1, with ATmega 2560
There is error log

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2015 at 4:09pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: MultiWii pre2.4 debuging problem
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2015 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Hi,

1)
Does you sketch compile in release mode with a Serial.println() statement in it?

Thanks

IP Logged

Leon11t
Newbies

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 10:11am
Print Post  
As I understand, MultiWii have his own Serial lib. 
I tray run project in release mode with Serial.println() and I'm got the same error, like with debug mode. 
Can you please watch in my project?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zahwt9568wjmu4/MultiWii_debug_error.zip?dl=0

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Okay that makes sense.

1)
What is the name of the object you would use to make serial.print() calls in MultiWii?

2)
If you enter the correct serial syntax into the code and right click it then click "Go to definition" what is the name of the class and the source file that is displayed?

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I've looked at the build temp you sent me which has a copy of the core.

Debug is going to be a problem on the main serial ports as is currently stands because the core dumps the old Arduino serial and replaces with an alternative. At first glance the issue appears to be that the replacement is not wrapped in a class that derives from the print class which Visual Micro uses to transmit the various types of data (automatically converting to ascii).

Instead you could use the SoftwareSerial option (in the project properties) and hook up an ftdi cable or xbee to one or two spare pins on the MultiWii board. You only need 1 pin for trace only debug or 2 pins for trace/break/write.

One warning about debugging any moving vehicle is that the debugger will slow the arduino processor down and cause it to pause if breakpoints are hit more than once within each 100ms time period. This is called "debug throttle", you can switch the throttle off in the project properties "Throttled Enabled". 

If you switch the throttle off then you will need to make sure you don't flood your pc with thousands of debugger trace messages by adding trace points at locations in the code that give useful information at a controlled rate. Alternatively use conditional or timed breakpioints (see breakpoint properties). The Arduino can send messages faster than the debugger can process them (more than 8 per second is pushing it on some pc's Smiley

Please also remember that if you use breakpoints instead of trace points, the arduino will pause/delay() until you tell the debugger to continue. A moving drone will either stop dead or become out of control at that time. 

Lastly bear in mind that, debugger aside, using additional serial in a drone project might affect the critical timings that were created during the calibration phase but that also need to be consistent. 

With wheels or props attached, it might be that well placed tracepoints (without Throttle) might be the only safe debugger features to use in your project.

Sorry for the obstacles but better safe than sorry  Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2015 at 4:35pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint