Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Visual Studio Code (Read 21773 times)
iwalker
Newbies

Visual Studio Code
May 3rd, 2015 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Hi

Microsoft has recently released Visual Studio code which is free, lightweight and multi-platform. Is there any chance that this plugin can be made to work on that platform ?

Regards
Ian

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Visual Studio Code
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2015 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks for the question. They have released a lot of different things recently. Which in particular?

Can you post a link to what you have in mind?

Thanks

IP Logged

Gilles Plante

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2015 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Hi Tim,

you can find here https://code.visualstudio.com/ about Visual Studio Code.

Found on the page "Build and debug modern web and cloud applications. Code is free and available on your favorite platform - Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows."

Not sure it's appropriate for VisualMicro, and since there is the Community version...

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2015 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
I see thanks. Well might look at that ide sometime but it looks a but basic at the moment. However on the same note is the universal build projects of the Win10/VS2015/IoT stuff announced last week but been bubbling for a while.

We will be releasing a version of Visual Micro for VS2015 very soon and expect to take advantage of all that we can. There seems to be a lot of scope in many different directions.

The huge breaking changes of Arduino 1.6.3 a few weeks ago are almost behind us and our support for VS 2008 and .NET3.5 is now ended. As you say, Visual Studio 2013 Community is free, so life now has less hurdles and can move forward faster.

IP Logged

iwalker
Newbies

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2015 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Hello Tim

Quote:
looks a bit basic at the moment
Was looking for something simple but better than the arduino IDE without going to a full IDE like VS or Eclipse. CUWire looked promising but gave up after 2 days struggling to get it to work. Yours on the other hand I installed and it just worked. Great job and thank You very much for making this available.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2015 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Hi iwalker, thanks very much that really helps.

IP Logged

Fex

Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2015 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Gilles Plante wrote on May 3rd, 2015 at 8:42pm:
Hi Tim,

you can find here https://code.visualstudio.com/ about Visual Studio Code.

Found on the page "Build and debug modern web and cloud applications. Code is free and available on your favorite platform - Linux, Mac OSX, and Windows."

Not sure it's appropriate for VisualMicro, and since there is the Community version...

If I understand correctly Visual Studio Code is an entirely new product that is currently targeted at ASP.NET and Web development. This strange beast in the Visual Studio product family isn't built on the Visual Studio stack. It is basically a cross platform text editor. It doesn't contain compilers, solutions or visual studio extensions. 

Quote:
Visual Studio Code is written in TypeScript/JavaScript and is powered by a Node server

It achieves ASP.NET compatiblity through ASP.NET5 and DNX.
Quote:
ASP.NET 5/DNX is a lean .NET stack for building modern cloud and web apps that run on OS X, Linux, and Windows.

https://code.visualstudio.com/Docs/ASPnet5

I have a hard time believing this will change with the current product proposition. Personally I think that Visual Studio Code cannot be compared to Visual Studio but don't take my word for it.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2015 at 9:42pm by Fex »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2015 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks I know about it. I have it installed. It has an example of how to compile a gcc program. I don't think it will be too hard to do something for it but I don't really like it. I need a solution explorer and stuff I can click. 

Furthermore it takes hours to maintain Visual Micro, it has many users but few blogging and posting on the internet. Thanks to those who do but the current focus is to improve it so that people start to promote it without any effort on my part.

IP Logged

Justin
Newbies

Reply #8 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Hello everyone,

I've recently moved to Linux and would love to be able to use "Visual Studio Code" to program Arduino with Smiley

I've used Visual Micro and it's a great product, maybe worth considering a port for VSC for multiple platforms?

IP Logged

Stefaan
Newbies

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2016 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Same here,
I've been using Visual Studio and Visual Micro for long time.  Recently I've moved to Linux because I'm also using Linux on some of my boards.  Being able to write and run c# code on Linux is a new paradigm and a groundbreaking move on behalf of Microsoft.

After a lot of read-up and discussions with colleagues I come to the conclusion that Microsoft's move to the .NET Core/UWP platform signals that they understand they've lost the battle for the OS to Linux/Android.  They are changing their focus to application development on competing platforms and are probably thinking hard about how they will earn money in the future.

Well, to cut a long story short, VS Code today is an embryo that will probably become as big as Visual Studio over the next few years. I wouldn't be surprised if the new VS15 will be the last 'classic' VS that they will ever make.

My advice to Visual Micro is to start looking into this new thing so that you are ready to make your move when it is necessary.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2016 at 11:28am
Print Post  
You will be surprised how difficult it is to get people to spend 19 GBP. 

The people who buy are really appreciated but with so many Arduino variations and most people using and supported for free it's a huge time overhead.

Any move to a new ide or platform might not be worth the effort.

+ I also expect that Microsoft will do something so will wait and see.

« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2016 at 1:14am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

cmtcmt
Newbies

Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Hello,

Any news on this since 2015? Your plugin is perfect, but VS2017 is rather heavy - and does not work on *nix.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2019 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
VSCode is a cut down version of Visual Studio. Mostly useful for Linux and Mac users who do not have a windows machine. Often I find Linux and Mac users have not invested in hardware for windows and tend to use old slow machines with little RAM.

Currently, we do not see any reason to look at VSCode because it does not have menus and tool bars therefore would be more complex for users to use.

VS2017 is very fast with the correct spec. PC. VS2015 was very slow to load.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2019 at 2:32pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint