Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Want to use Arduino as Programmer (Read 6129 times)
drTim
Newbies

Want to use Arduino as Programmer
May 23rd, 2016 at 12:35am
Print Post  
I'd like to use my Arduino as my programmer, but I can't turn the "Always use programmer" button to turn off. Otherwise I chose "Arduino as ISP" and "ArduinoISP" as programmers - but I get errors using both. Using Amtel Studio 7.0 with obsolete? Visual Micro version.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Want to use Arduino as Programmer
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2016 at 12:46am
Print Post  
It needs to be on you are using a programmer, an Arduino programmer Smiley

Only a normal usb/serial connection to the board is NOT using a programmer.

If you switch on "verbose" in the tools>options>vm>compiler section then post the error it will allow further comment.

You also need to say which arduino version you are using there have been big changes during the last 18 months

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2016 at 12:48am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

drTim
Newbies

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2016 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Looking around in the forum, and putting this together with your response, my problem seems to be that I want to use Arduino's USB/Serial interface for programming. Setting "Upload Using" in VMicros options menu to FALSE doesn't seem to do the job. And the documentation shows a different layout than the "obsolete" version I'm using...  Bottom line: How do I get a "no Programmer" message to register in VMicro's Atmel Studio menu?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2016 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Oh okay so don't want to use Arduino as ISP then yes that is right standard usb without a programmer. 

That is the default so I guess you must have switched it on. The Visual Micro menu is on the "Tools" menu in the older software.

IP Logged

the big cat
Newbies

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2016 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Burning bootloader to board 'Arduino Mini w/ ATmega328' using 'Arduino as ISP'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avrdude "-CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf" -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P{serial.port} -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xd8:m -Ulfuse:w:0xff:m
avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Jan 15 2015 at 16:58:43
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch
System.Exception: Burn bootloader failed with an exception ---> Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.debug.RunnerException: Upload failed
   at Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.debug.Uploader.executeUploadCommand(ICollection commandDownloader, String workingPath)
   at Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.debug.Uploader.executeUploadCommand(ICollection commandDownloader)
   at  programmerPrefs, String programmer)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.debug.AvrdudeUploader.burnBootloader(Board boardPreferences, String programmerName)
         System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         Using Port                    : {serial.port}
         Using Programmer              : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "{serial.port}": The system cannot find the file specified.
avrdude done.  Thank you.

does not work 

but this works in Arduino IDE

Burning bootloader to board 'Arduino Mini w/ ATmega328' using 'Arduino as ISP'
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin\avrdude "-CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf" -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P{serial.port} -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xd8:m -Ulfuse:w:0xff:m
avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Jan 15 2015 at 16:58:43
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch
System.Exception: Burn bootloader failed with an exception ---> Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.debug.RunnerException: Upload failed
   at Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.debug.Uploader.executeUploadCommand(ICollection commandDownloader, String workingPath)
   at Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.debug.Uploader.executeUploadCommand(ICollection commandDownloader)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Visual.Micro.MiroAppAPI.debug.AvrdudeUploader.burnBootloader(Board boardPreferences, String programmerName)
         System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         Using Port                    : {serial.port}
         Using Programmer              : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "{serial.port}": The system cannot find the file specified.
avrdude done.  Thank you.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2016 at 11:39pm by the big cat »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint