Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Debug code on a "big" board with an arduino (Read 3373 times)
phrancesco
Newbies

Debug code on a "big" board with an arduino
Jun 28th, 2016 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Hi, 

I'm talking about debugging an existing board (too big to be recreated on a bread board in less that 1 week...) with an arduino on it.

I just thought to two possibilities but they should be verified

case A)
if the "big board onboard" arduino is socketed, remove the existing 328p and provide the connection from the UNO connected to the ide. To be more practical has anyone made a cable for that ? I mean a cable that is not a mess of jumpers but a couple of flat cables with headers from the UNO to the 28 PIN socket. In this case not all PIN are necessary, for instance we can assume that the UNO is already powered and the +5V form the 28PIN to the UNO is not necessary

case B)
is it possibile to use the "big board onboard" ISP6PIN with an external UNO to program and debug ?
I really think it's possible to use it to program but can find a tutorial on how to use it to debug, just in case is it possible.

Any other ideas ?

Best Regards

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Debug code on a "big" board with an arduino
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2016 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Hello,

It is difficult for me to understand your questions or what the big board is.

If you have an arduino compatible processor then you can debug with serial connection or using one/two spare digital pins. In both cases you must be able to upload new program code to the board using Visual Micro.

I hope this helps.

IP Logged

phrancesco
Newbies

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I'll try to explaim myself better:

These are the so called "BIG BOARD"

http://www.e-licktronic.com/en/yocto-kit/43-yocto-v10-half-kit.html
with an Atmega1284P on board and ISP6PIN.

http://www.e-licktronic.com/en/nava-parts-kit/50-nava-tr909-clone.html
with an Atmega1284P 

The question is,
how can I program and debug the existing Atmega1284P ?

I'm pretty sure that using an UNO with the ArduinoISP sketch I can program the Atmega1284P but what about debugging ?

Is there a faster way to program the Atmega1284P using the ISP6PIN and Visual Micro ?

Last bit, of course the software running on those 1284p is using the Hardware serial for a midi port.

Since you answer it seems to be possibile, but I didn't find a tutorial for this. I mean i did't find a tutorial where the Debugged/programmed arduino is not the one connected via USB.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I am not sure of the answer because I don't have time to learn which pins the board provides access to.

Visual micro can upload using Arduino as ISP but the debugger will need to open a Serial connection.

You can either use the UART/Serial of the chip if you have access to those pins or you can select the SoftwareSerial option in Visual Micro and use one or two spare digital pins.

If you upload to the chip using Arduino as ISP that will overwrite the bootloader so you can not use serial/UART for upload without burningĀ  a new bootloader.

The upload and the Visual Micro debugger are two different things. Both can use Serial but the upload doesn't have to  because it can use a programmer.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2016 at 12:13pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint