Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic NodeMCU (ESP8266) Debugging - Potential Gotcha (Solved) (Read 3203 times)
Boomalator

NodeMCU (ESP8266) Debugging - Potential Gotcha (Solved)
Mar 10th, 2017 at 7:19am
Print Post  
This post is mostly in case anyone else ever has the issue. An hour of searching eventually led to a hint, but didn't find it all in one place.

So, after fixing the upload issue (old esptool version not properly deleted, thanks, Tim!), I wasn't able to debug any of my NodeMCUs. If I moved the cable to a Uno/Uno Clone, it worked fine, but the NodeMCU wouldn't run the code or debug after upload.   

If I disconnected the cable, and reset it, the code would run, but then as soon as I connected the VMicro serial monitor, it would just stop. Worked fine (no debugging, obviously) uploading from Arduino.

If the Serial Monitor RTS is on, but DTR is off, the NodeMCU doesn't reset and enter debugging properly. (I don't know how the serial monitor got to that state or if it's a default.)

If DTR and RTS are both ON it worked/works fine. If DTR and RTS are both OFF it worked/works fine. Just if only RTS was on. This happened with both CP201x based versions (Amica) and CH340 (Lolin).

And, of course, there's a tooltip that appears when you hover that (of course!) I didn't hover over.

So, maybe the keywords in this post will help another user, or me when I forget in six weeks.

And OMG is it ever cool to debug and trace this way, compared to the rinse-and-repeat method of the Arduino IDE. The registration cost for the debugger will pay for itself in one project.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2017 at 7:20am by Boomalator »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: NodeMCU (ESP8266) Debugging - Potential Gotcha (Solved)
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2017 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks very much. 

Yes for esp8266 RTS and DTR should always be off and we need to find a way to make this clearer. I thought we added a note to the "tool tip" of the DTR/RTS checkboxes but will check that and also add a note to to the esp8266 and FAQ pages on visualmicro.com.

Good to hear it is working

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint