Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) disable all debugging, compile like arduino IDE (Read 19229 times)
Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: disable all debugging, compile like arduino IDE
Reply #20 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
it will also speed things up if you email or post a sketch that fails and explain how to make it fail.

Thanks

IP Logged

mamama2

Reply #21 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
very cool, didn't know that. thanks once again!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #22 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
pls see my previous but one post requesting a simple example project demonstrating the issue and explain how to reproduce.

Thanks

IP Logged

mamama2

Reply #23 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
i don't know how to reproduce it. currently this only happens with my current project. this is also the only project I was working on for a long time.

during ongoing programming the following behaviours occur (alternating):

- only release mode (and arduino ide) compile works
- only debug mode (and arduino ide) compile works
- only arduino ide compile works

by "works" i mean that no unexpected wifi connection things occur (like constantly reconnecting or losing connection when receiving data).

i guess the BIN files are always different, with every sketch, if they are linked together differently by vsmicro than the arduino ide does.

shall I send you my monsterious project? it is about 4000 lines of code and you'd have to acknowledge via mail that you won't redistribute or reuse it without my explicit permission...

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #24 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
you'd have to acknowledge via mail that you won't redistribute or reuse it without my explicit permission

Those conditions are accepted and always apply to any code that I am sent

I think there is a little confusion. The settings you choose in Visual Micro have no impact on the Arduino IDE. It always compiles the same way and does not know about Visual Micro or Visual Studio.

Questions

I think it should be safe to assume that the Arduino IDE is always working and that build and upload via Visual Micro is always a problem from a network dropping perspective?

Out of interested I assume you have checked that the options on the vMicro menu below the list of boards are the same as are selected in the arduino ide?

Can you confirm how you have configured Visual Micro for network OTA upload to the esp8266? You are selecting an IP address? 

Are you using the esp8266 Arduino OTA system? 

Did you read the lower part of this page and does it look like what you have been doing or have you been using apple bonjour?

Thanks

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2017 at 8:28pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

mamama2

Reply #25 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
ok, then I'll send the code to you shortly.

no confusion, I know that the settings have no impact on the arduino ide. that description was referring to my code, to outline that the arduino ide compilation always works so that it is unlikely that i have some coding error which causes this behaviour.

Quote:
I think it should be safe to assume that the Arduino IDE is always working and that build and upload via Visual Micro is always a problem from a network dropping perspective?

yes, that is correct. however, sometimes debug OR release mode works, as I change my code during development. currently only arduino IDE works.

Quote:
Out of interested I assume you have checked that the options on the vMicro menu below the list of boards are the same as are selected in the arduino ide?

yes, the settings are all the same. MHz, Board, SPIFFS size, ...

Quote:
Can you confirm how you have configured Visual Micro for network OTA upload to the esp8266? You are selecting an IP address? 

Are you using the esp8266 Arduino OTA system?

I'm not using any of that. I'm using the Webupdater form which is provided by ESP8266HTTPUpdateServer.h (included in the ESP8266 board package). you include that, do
Code (C++)
Select All
ESP8266WebServer Webserver(80);
ESP8266HTTPUpdateServer httpUpdater; 

and

Code (C++)
Select All
httpUpdater.setup(&Webserver); 

and you're good to go. just browse /update and you'll be presented a form where you can upload your bin file.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2017 at 8:48pm by mamama2 »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #26 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Okay I have only ever tried the OTA for upload. I prefer to press F5 and see build + upload. It's really quick.

I think you certainly need to stay away from debug mode because you are controlling the upload process.

I will try to see if I can get your code working over the next few days.

After your code is uploaded what do you do to replicate the issue?

IP Logged

mamama2

Reply #27 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 9:09pm
Print Post  
uploading via the web form is considerably faster than serial and I didn't want to mess around with mdns or anything else that constantly is somehow listening and/or wrapping serial output to some ip stack.

that little web form is resting in the program until it is needed (that means, until i browse the url /update) and doesn't take any computing resources.

after the code is uploaded, it doesn't matter what i do. the vmicro serial monitor is opened all the time but it also doesn't matter if I power cycle the board or power it from an external power supply, entirely without any connection to the computer. if the issue is there, it persists. no speical steps needed to reproduce it.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #28 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 4:37am
Print Post  
I only asked about the serial monitor when I thought you were using serial upload.

The OTA upload is the same speed as the web upload.

IP Logged

mamama2

Reply #29 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
did you have any success in finding the issue or are you still having fun with my horrible code?  Grin

thanks!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #30 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Sorry for the delay. The November release might have resolved this issue otherwise I will look into it over the next few weeks.

You can use file>preferences>external editor in the arduino ide which allows edit in VS and upload via Arduino with auto detect changes
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2018 at 2:35am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint