Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Using JTAG Programmer (Read 25202 times)
Al

Using JTAG Programmer
Jan 2nd, 2018 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
I have an Elprotronic FlashPro-ARM JTAG/SWD programmer for programming Kinetis MCUs (as used in Teensy 3.x boards) in a manufacturing product tester.  I would like to use the same programmer during development with Visual Micro.

Is this possible?

I have a command line utility (in C#) that can be executed to do the upload and a JTAG connector on the target board.  There is also a API/DLL available for the programmer.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Using JTAG Programmer
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
There is a GDB option for visual micro but it's beta and I am not sure how easy it will be to make it work.

IP Logged

Al

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 4:45am
Print Post  
I've installed Visual Micro GDB and am proceeding to set up to do my development including debugging of the Kinetis MK20DX processors this way.  

My boards have a JTAG/SWD interface on them that I use to upload hex files with using a standlaone programmer.  I want to get a programmer/debugger unit to connect between my Windows PC  and the target board that is compatible with Visual Micro/GDB (with OpenOCD?).

Can anyone give me some suggestions on what pgm'er/debugger to get that would work in my situation?.  I am happy to support only the MK2x series but a general ARM solution would be even better.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Al

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
I just found the GDB debugging forum... sorry for posting in the wrong place.  Please move this thread to that forum if you feel it is appropriate.

I have ordered an Arduino Zero (the "genuine" one from Arduino.cc) and plan to use that to learn GDB debugging in VM.  I can do that without the need to use a "debug probe".

One question I have is whether VM GDB debugging will work with Visual Studio 2015 or do I need to upgrade to VS2017? I have not upgraded to VS2017 due to the (incompatible) change in project format.

Also, will this probe from P&E Micro work with VM for the ARM processors?

http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320168&prod...

BTW, I think VM is terrific and have been using the Pro version for all of my development for some time now.  Nice work!

IP Logged

Al

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
I should have included this information on the P&E GDB server:   

http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320151&prod...

IP Logged

Al

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Sorry for replying to my own post so many times!!  I am continuing to try to figure out this stuff and keep finding more things.

We have several Altera (or clone) USB-Blasters.  These should work assuming I correctly set up the config for it, right?

On setting up the configuration, I have been pouring over the VM User's manual, various forum posts, and Google in general but I haven't been able to find detailed instruction on how to do it.  Is there a link for detailed instructions on how to do it, e.g. boards.txt/platforms.txt file changes, *.cfg files, drivers, etc.?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
You can probably try various settings using a local board.txt in the project. This avoids having to change boards.txt and platform.txt then reload toolchains.

There is a doc here.There are a lot of openOCD cfg files installed with the OpenOCD that is installed with visual micro. You can also hard code your own paths.

http://www.visualmicro.com/post/2016/01/17/3rd-Party-Hardware-GDB-Configuration-...

The vmicro>compiler menu allows you to switch on showing all build properties. That gives you access to all known build {variable} names. 

Switching to arduino zero board and attempting compile will show a build properties for a valid gdb debug.

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:08pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Al

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
I had trouble following the 3rd Party Config doc because there is an error in the path for the OpenOCD folder.  When I look in my install path (3vu3tp0o.aov) I see this:

The 3rd Party Config Guide shows the OpenOCD path as: "visual micro install path\default\tools\openOCD".  Notice there is no default folder in the install folder.  After clicking around I determined that there is an OpenOCD folder at ...\Micro Platforms\default\tools\openocd-0.9.0.  So this is the error that needs fixing.  

BTW, I had *many* install folders as it seems every time a reinstall is done the old folder is left behind.  I cleaned everything up and did a clean install.

OK... so I see there are cfg files in the scripts folder for boards, chips, cpus. I can't find any *.tcl files for the NXP Kinetis line and no *.cfg file for the KDx family (at least KD20 and KD22)?  Are these available somewhere?

In the interfaces section for j-link there is only a link to the Segger site for j-link and comments. Is all I need to do is specify the serial number (with leading zeros) in the cfg file?  I am also going to use USB-Blaster and I see all that is needed is the VID/PID which I assume is going to be different for Altera's and the clones, correct?

I tried a build of the Zero as you suggested and can see all that is going on.  That is a good suggestion.  It won't compile, however, as  core_cm0plus.h is missing.  I will have to hunt that down.

Thanks for bearing with me on all of this but hopefully my questions are also those others may have and they will be help as well.  This stuff is a bit confusing! Thanks

IP Logged

Al

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 7:04pm:
You can probably try various settings using a local board.txt in the project. This avoids having to change boards.txt and platform.txt then reload toolchains.

I am using a local board.txt file in a project to override settings for the board in the master boards.txt file.  I need override some settings in platform.txt as well as have some not included at all.  I am looking for a way to do the latter which leads to these questions:

Is platform.local.txt supported or a way to specify the path to my specialized platform.txt?  There are a few items in the master platform.txt file that I do not want but don't know how to override/eliminate them completely without editing the master platform.txt file.  I need platform.txt the way it is for other, existing projects.

If not, is there a way to have an item in the platform.txt file excluded with a flag or define and a conditional statement?

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
i think platform.local is also supported but all the properties of boards.txt and platform.txt etc are combined for compile so you can put platform.txt commands in board.txt

IP Logged

Al

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
My understanding is that the project board.txt parameters supersede (override) the same parameters in the "master" boards.txt and platform.txt files.  My primary question is how to  prevent a certain parameter in either of the master files from being applied at all.  I have set a few of the same parameters in my local file as "<parameter> =" which I *think* is working but there are many and this will be tedious and error-prone.

What I would rather do since there are many things in the master files I don't want is to have board.local.txt and platform.local.txt replace the master files for a specific project.   

My reading on this subject is that boards.local.txt and platform.local.txt were supported in Arduino previously but are not supported now.  I have verified this by creating both *.local.txt files and they are ignored. The board selected in the dropdown is what is used along with the one master platform.txt.

I can create a new board as a section in the master Boards.txt file if necessary.   The only way I see to do the platform.txt file is to have multiple versions that get renamed for different projects..... unless it is possible to use if/then conditionals or something in the master platform.txt.  Does anyone know if it is possible and how to do it?

The very best solution to this is if Visual Micro supported the *.local.txt files.  Is this possible???

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Not sure I understand some of that but you can set multiple properties on a single line if required.

Where did you put your platform.local.txt and where did you see a note about it being discontinued?

IP Logged

Al

Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2018 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
I put both *.local.txt files in the same folder as the INO file.  That folder is a sub-folder of the main project folder in the Sketchbook folder.  I just tried it in the top-level project folder and got the same results... they were ignored.

If you search for platform.local.txt or board.local.txt a couple of github hits (seemingly of files) come up but they are no longer valid links.  Here are a couple of links where I get the impression they are no longer supported:

https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues/3371

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=313206.0

The rest of what I was saying is that board.txt does not replace the master boards.txt and platform.txt, only overrides the parameters included.   

The bottom line is a feature request and that is for Visual Micro to support platform.local.txt and board.local.txt.  Is that possible?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #13 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
I see thanks,

1)
Visual Micro does not use arduino for build and it still supports the .local version but they need to be in the same location where the platform.txt is located and that is nowhere near your own code folder(s).

If platform.local.txt in the platform.txt folder does not work then try platform.win.txt instead but again in the folder where the hardware definitions (platform.txt) exist

2)
Yes board.txt does not replace but if you copied platform.txt into board.txt you would have your local version.

3)
Your project directory structure should have the project_name.ino in a folder called project_name and the visual studio project should also exist in the same folder and be called "project_name". (replace project_name with name of project)

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #14 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 5:48am
Print Post  
Also to answer your first question again you can add programmers to the programmers list. Just follow the arduino 3rd part hardware guide(s). Visual Micro uses the same config as the arduino ide.

IP Logged

Al

Reply #15 - Jan 28th, 2018 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Tim.

That's just about where I am at this point...getting the programmmer to work and starting a debug session.  I am almost there getting GDB debugging going on a custom board using a MK20DX128VLH7.  I am doing this with the Teensy core and have created a section in boards.txt for the new board plus I created a standalone platform.txt file.  (I'll get back to the local board.txt file at some point).  Thanks for the help on this thus far!

I am trying to set up a j-link module and the latest Visual Micro (registered) and Visual Studio 2015. Cross Platform Mobile Development (Android) and Microsoft MI-based debugger are installed   I am using jlink.exe (Commander) on a command line basis passing a jlink script to download to the MCU flash. The script resets the MCU and then jlink.exe exits.

Everything works up until the debugger is to start, i.e. the flash is programmed and the MCU starts to run (as a test I put I put a run command in the jlink command script but I usually just reset the MCU and exit). After more output in the Output window I then get the error message:
Unable to start debugging. Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: 'Debugger' (from Visual Studio)

I saw a post in this forum long ago but it was about Linux and not applicable.

Suspecting it is something with jlink.exe, I am trying to use OpenOCD to flash the MCU but I having little success thus far. I created a "programmer" (jlink-SWD) in programmer.txt and copied the programmers.txt file to the Teensy hardware/avr folder (where boards.txt, etc. are) since there isn't anything there for programmer as it is built into the Teensy boards.  I set vMicro >> Uploader to my new programmer which does appear in the list.  

This is where I am stuck because I don't know how to set the program to run to do the programming from OpenOCD.  All other programmers use AVRdude.  Here is what I have as a programmer thus far:

Code
Select All
jlink-SWD.name=JLINK-(SWD mode)
jlink-SWD.communication=usb
jlink-SWD.protocol=SWD
jlink-SWD.program.protocol=swd
jlink-SWD.program.tool= <what to put here???>
jlink-SWD.program.extra_params= < and here???> 

Any ideas on how I can proceed?

Al

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #16 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 12:06am
Print Post  
You have done well. I am assuming you can click F5, your custom programmer runs then gdb tries to run.

After it fails you might need to terminate the micro.gdb.exe process or openocd.exe before another attempt can be made.

Hopefully you have vmicro>compiler>show build roperties enabled so you can see the build props such as {runtime.tools....} etc.

This is the platform/board.txt gdb for the texas instruments tiva boards

There is a 3rd party gdb guide here that might help

Code (C++)
Select All
# Platform external debugging
# --------------------
debug.tool=gdb

tools.gdb.pre_init.tool=openocd
tools.gdb.cmd=arm-none-eabi-gdb.exe
tools.gdb.path={runtime.tools.arm-none-eabi-gcc.path}/bin
tools.gdb.pattern="{path}/{cmd}" -interpreter=mi -d "{build.project_path}"

tools.gdb.openocd.cmd=bin/openocd.exe
tools.gdb.openocd.params.verbose=-d2
tools.gdb.openocd.params.quiet=-d0
tools.gdb.openocd.pattern="{path}/{cmd}" -s "{path}/scripts/" -f "{path}/scripts/{build.openocdscript}" 

IP Logged

Al

Reply #17 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 3:42am
Print Post  
Yes, clicking F5 is what I am doing to start the build, flash, and (try to) launch the debugger. I have been using the 3rd party guide for Visual Micro and 3rd party guides for Arduino and have the code you listed included.  I have also been researching this and have many links saved.  The problem is nothing I have found shows *how* to do the flashing and that is where I am stuck. 

I bought an Arduino Zero (from Arduino.cc) and can flash and debug perfectly.  Since it uses the built in debugger chip, it isn't much help in getting a bare board with dongle going.  I have been looking for a *complete* example but can't find one so have been hacking around for days trying to get this going.  I can't put a downloader/debugging chip on the boards I am designing since I can't afford the cost. 

Anyone know of a complete example on how to do this under Visual Micro???

The reason I am using Arduino is the vast number of libraries available.  Having Visual Micro/Visual Studio is what makes that bearable.  I'm going to keep working on this but soon may have to give up and switch to something else for programming Kinetis devices.

I hope it is OK that I have attached the section of boards.txt I am using along with the standalone platform.txt.  Maybe someone can see what I am doing wrong! I can attach the OpenOCD cfg files if that would help

Thanks
Al

« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2018 at 3:43am by Al »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #18 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
You need to add your own programmer. The zero is a bad example. So choose the avr isl mkII or something like that with an avr board.

IP Logged

Al

Reply #19 - Jan 29th, 2018 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
I did add my own programmer, as I said in the previous post, but it isn't complete.

I've put that aside for now and am working directly with OpenOCD at the command line to see if I can get it to work with jlink.  As it turns out, it doesn't!  At this point, trying to get this to work for debugging in Visual Micro is not the best use of my time, which I am running out of having put in days on Visual Micro debugging. 

So far, I cannot get OpenOCD to to connect to the jlink as it is throwing an error:

Error: libusb_open() failed with LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED
Error: Cannot find jlink Interface! Please check connection and permissions.

I downloaded and installed OpenOCD 10.0.0 (binaries) and it has the same problem.

For OpenOCD to work with jlink, a different driver is required: libusb-win32. This whole libusb thing is as convoluted as OpenOCD.  It looks like if I install it, the Segger driver gets replaced and jlink tools will no longer work. Uninstall looks like a nightmare.

From old links, I saw that there is a build option for OpenOCD for enabling jlink.  By any chance did you (or could you) build OpenOCD with that enabled?  I am not in a position to build OpenOCD myself since I uninstalled Eclipse, etc. long ago.   

Al

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint