If you do not have an IDE installed
The Arduino software is the toolset most Arduino users start with.
You need the Arduino software because it provides the gcc toolset, the Arduino software library, and an uploader that will later work in the background.
You can download the Arduino 1.0.x or 1.5.x software from www.arduino.cc/software
note: Visual Micro always tries to support the newest versions of the Arduino software.
Install either Microsoft Visual Studio or Atmel Studio
Visual Studio or Atmel Studio are IDEs, Integrated Development Environments, the programs you write your code in, that compile it for you, and that upload it to your board.
Visual Micro is needed to use them as an IDE for your Arduino boards.
Download Atmel Studio
Download Microsoft Visual Studio
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 and higher
- Atmel Studio 6.1 (June 2013 +) and Atmel Studio 6.2
- Not supported: Microsoft Visual Studio Express (any versions)
Newer versions of these tools will be supported by Visual Micro soon after they are released. Check theRelease History page for the newest information.
Install Visual Micro
Visual Micro is an Add-In for Microsoft Visual Studio or Atmel Studio.
- Download Visual Micro from here or click "Download" at the top of this web site
- If Visual Studio/Atmel Studio is running, then close it
- Run the Visual Micro installer that you have just downloaded