Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Color coding of source fails when first opened (Read 13605 times)
Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Color coding of source fails when first opened
Oct 9th, 2011 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Due to a visual studio bug the visual micro installer no longer attempts to configure color coding for arduino files. 

However, the install guide demonstrates how to manually configure the color coding in visual studio for .pde and .ino files. 

http://www.visualmicro.com/post/2011/10/09/How-to-fix-Arduino-code-color-coding-...

Because we use visual studio we have many other options available to us. The microsoft visual studio gallery is a good place to start looking for useful extensions. The posts below give some useful tips and insights to other options. 

Personally, I try to avoid all extensions to visual studio because they tend to slow down vs (or cause issues). For me, in particular, it is also important to know that my products work in a clean vs enviroment. For these reasons the impact on visual studio, of the visual micro addin, has been a high priority consideration since the programs inception and at all stages of design.
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2012 at 3:29pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Rei Vilo

Re: Color coding of source fails when first opened
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2012 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Solutions I reviewed are:

• Visual Assist X, the best but it comes at a price US$250 — out

• ReSharper recommended for C++ but only for C# and Visual Basic — out

• Highlighterr for Visual C++ 2010 in beta but stable and free — my choice

• Codekana with an advanced concept and free but only for Visual Studio 2008, not 2010 — only for Visual studio 2008 users

• define a list of user keywords in a text file named usertype.dat —manual, only one colour, discarded

• implement syntax colouring using Visual Studio services — a full project per se, discarded

• next Visual Studio 2011 release, with announced true C++ syntax colouring but possible adaptations of the Arduino plug-in — wait and see

Actually, I'm using a MacBook but Xcode hasn't the audience for a viable Arduino plug-in, although I've tried...
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2012 at 3:41pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2012 at 11:53am
Print Post  
That's interesting thanks. Maybe we can look at xcode sometime. The addin is split so that ALL vs functions are in the addin dll and ALL arduino functions are in a seperate api (dll). So maybe we can use mono to build the api for mac and then have access to it from xcode. Anyway vs 2011 might be a better step we shall see Smiley

IP Logged

Rei Vilo

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 11:01am
Print Post  
I've already been working on a Xcode implementation for Arduino.

The project works fine on Xcode 4 although there are some minor tweaks for code sense. Templates are still to be built.

Please refer to:

I haven't explore yet the Xcode implementation for the chipKIT platform.

Maybe a better solution would consist on picking one cross-platform IDE, like Eclipse or NetBeans, to avoid multiple releases.

Eclipse is over complicated. Is NetBeans easier to handle?
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2012 at 11:01am by Rei Vilo »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2012 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
I don't know. So far I have tried to avoid anything non microsoft because it takes so much time to learn. Does your xcode arduino stuff do everthing?

IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 1:21am
Print Post  
I tried to download the Highlighterr from Codeplex but the link seem to be broken. Has anyone downloaded the 1.8 version?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 1:37am
Print Post  
Probably a temp codeplex issue. It just worked for me but the extension doesn't color code in my vs 2010. 

However, when I enable or disable that particular extension in visual studio and restart, I end up with a another set of serial and boards tool bar controls. If I don't enable or disable the extension or just start and restart vs normally I don't get any more duplicates. In a way this is great news because I can at last debug the problem. I haven't tried running a resetaddin because I don't want to potentially fix the problem yet Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2012 at 1:41am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 1:53am
Print Post  
In that case I will wait a while before I use that extension then.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2012 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
I don't hold out much hope for that extension. Doesn't look like it is being updated and looks in the wrong place for vs intellisense database. 

However it might be a useful example that I or someone else might take and modify Smiley

IP Logged

Rei Vilo

Reply #9 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jan 22nd, 2012 at 1:37am:
However, when I enable or disable that particular extension in visual studio and restart, I end up with a another set of serial and boards tool bar controls.

I experienced the same problem, but instead of two I had three sets of serial and boards on my tool bar!

Have you tried the Visual Micro plug-in with the pre-release of  Visual Studio 2011? Visual Studio 2011 should pack better syntax colouring.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #10 - Jan 23rd, 2012 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
not yet i suspect a bit of re-write will be required Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint