Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Compile errors (Read 12297 times)
rod
Newbies

Compile errors
Nov 11th, 2011 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Hi guys!
I am getting some funky errors, some of the fatal, some of them just funky Smiley

The error that seems to stop everything looks like this:

Code
Select All
1>------ Build started: Project: test, Configuration: AVR Win32 ------
1>  Could Not Find C:\Users\rod\arduino-0022\examples\test\_vsAddIn\_build\*.o
1>  Could Not Find C:\Users\rod\arduino-0022\examples\test\_vsAddIn\_build\*.a
1>  Could Not Find C:\Users\rod\arduino-0022\examples\test\_vsAddIn\_build\*.eep
1>  Could Not Find C:\Users\rod\arduino-0022\examples\test\_vsAddIn\_build\*.elf
1>  Could Not Find C:\Users\rod\arduino-0022\examples\test\_vsAddIn\_build\*.hex
1>  HardwareSerial.cpp
1>C:\Users\rod\arduino-0022\examples\test\_vsaddin\AVR_build.targets(119,5): error MSB3721: The command "call .\_vsaddin\build_cpp_item.bat .\_vsAddIn\_build\ HardwareSerial.cpp HardwareSerial C:\Users\rod\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\HardwareSerial.cpp C:\Users\rod\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\ test C:\Users\rod\arduino-0022\examples\test\" exited with code 9009.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ========== 

There's also a ton of intellisense issues, such as:

83      IntelliSense: identifier "uint16_t" is undefined      c:\users\rod\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\wprogram.h      18
     3      IntelliSense: identifier "uint8_t" is undefined      c:\users\rod\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino\wiring.h      104

It looks like a path issue, though I am pretty sure the paths are okay. I don't get any Arduino icons anywhere and the menus don't show as I've seen in the site e.g. File->New doesn't display any Arduino project.
Last (and least) in Tools->Options I get two "General" entries under Visual Micro (not that it bothers me all that much Smiley

I am running Visual Studio Ultimate

Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
Version 10.0.30319.1 RTMRel
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.0.30319 RTMRel

along with Microsoft .NET Micro Framework v4.1

So yeah... ideas? Suggestions? Popcorn?

-rod

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Compile errors
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
it looks like you have or had the old addin installed. the new uses a simpler system and we need to ensure it is installed and working.

1)

first off please make sure you have removed the .addin file from document\visual studio\addins. you would have put the file there when installing the earlier version from 2009/2010

the new installed sets up vs for you, so no need for a .addin file

2)

you should be using the v18 from codeplex. with that installed you should get a serial ports drop down and boards drop down on tool bars?

prerequisites are

VS
VB.NET
C#
C++

v18 installed okay, continue to point 3

3)

when the  new addin is working it should override the compile which hasn't happened in the example below

we also do not use the AVR Win32 option anymore although it should do no harm

the best way to see what a project should look like and to test a working system is to follow the tests outlined in the getting started guide. 

i suggest you test (prove the installation) with a new arduino project as outlined in the link and not the existing "examples\test" sketch that you are using

http://www.visualmicro.com/page/arduino-visual-studio-getting-started.aspx

4) fyi

the _vsaddin folder is not used anymore but should not cause complications. if in doubt then delete the _vsaddin folder below the sketch and also the vs solution and vs project files. Let the addin re-create all the vs files when you open test.pde

this last point is for your information but really shouldn't be causing a problem. 

This sounds more like an installation issue because, with the new system up and running, when you buid or compile the "Sketch Builder" output window should show arduino like compilation messages. 

all the .bat and .elf stuff you are seeing is from the old days using rules set into the project. the new addin overrides normal vs compile so these rules will not run when the system is working properly.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
oh yes just seen your note about two visual micro options

you certainly have the old addin from 2009-2010 installed and the new one Smiley

IP Logged

rod
Newbies

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I reinstalled and sorta moved a bit better, I got some of the icons and it definitely looks like the menus are newer and simpler, still:

If I try to create a sketch I get:
---------------------------
Visual.Micro.Visual.Studio.Arduino.10
Unable to create new sketch

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
OK   

...and no boards are listed in the drop-down, there are COM ports but devenv crashes if I select any of them...

Maybe the old one left some hidden stuff, any hardcore cleaning that I can do? Smiley

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
sounds like you have an invalid arduino exe path

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
in your email you say..

things do look better by  the minute Smiley

my path is set to: "C:\Users\rod\arduino-0022"

so do you have a list of boards now?

IP Logged

rod
Newbies

Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Nope, still no list of boards, I have icons and so on, but nothing usable yet.
Btw, you say that "sounds like you have an invalid arduino exe path"

What is wrong about the "C:\Users\rod\arduino-0022 path"? :|

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2011 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
When you set the path it checks that the arduino.exe exists, so it should be okay. I thought it might be set to a path from last year which is no longer valid

There isn't much to go wrong with it, either the boards are there or not.

Can you send a screen shot of your vm options please

IP Logged

rod
Newbies

Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
I must say... wow, how does this rock! Cheesy
It is all fixed now, in rather an unexpected way too.

I could get things to work for my life, I followed your advice but something was definitely off (possibly an evil combination of tinkering too much and the old version being installed) in any case, lights went off.

We had a blackout in the hood for a couple of hours (good old Sweden waking its power lines to winter I'd guess), once they were back I switched the computer on and presto! Everything just worked Smiley

I am planning to squeeze things quite a bit (my codebase is not trivial) so you'll be hearing from me in the future, granted; but as to this little issue, please mark as "fixed"

and Christ... your assistance and your product do rock!
thanks a ton!

-rod

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Nov 12th, 2011 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
oh well done and thanks for letting me know. In the end I was only able to guess because otherwise it should have worked:)

I am very pleased it does! Thanks for your persistence.

Any other "older users" reading this who have the same issue... I think that with duplicate addins loaded Visual Studio does not shut down correctly. 

Visual Studio needs to shutdown fully before any corrections to the addin configuration are recognised.

To ensure Visual Studio is fully shutdown... Close all Visual Studio instances, open task manager>processes and kill any devenv.exe processes
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2011 at 8:03pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint