Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bug: Inconsistency with Arduino IDE (Read 4274 times)
sixeyes2

Bug: Inconsistency with Arduino IDE
Dec 30th, 2011 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
I came across a minor problem when using VM. It produced an error message that took me a while to track down. The project compiled without any errors in the Arduino IDE.

The library can be downloaded here:

https://bitbucket.org/fmalpartida/new-liquidcrystal/downloads/LCD_v1.1.4.zip

and if you try to compile the SerialDisplay example it will work in the Arduino IDE but fail in VM. In case you don't want to download the library you can reproduce it by running an LiquidCrystal example from the Arduino IDE and just add a file to the LiquidCrystal folder with the extension cpp__.

I believe the problem is caused by having files with the extension .cpp__ and .h__ in the directory. I believe they represent the original library files supplied with the Arduino IDE. I just deleted these two files (once I'd discovered the cause by turning on full compilation messages)

BTW would it be possible for the verbose compilation messages to output one file per line. Currently you get loads of files on a single line (vertical scrolling is much easier than horizontal scrolling).

Iain

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Bug: Inconsistency with Arduino IDE
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2011 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
thanks, i'll fix that in a release over the next few days. if you get a mo pls add to codeplex just to make sure it doesn't get forgotten.

as concerns compiler messages. currently vm has to work with what gets returned from avr-gcc. it's not very friendly at all. you won't believe how bad it is! i am using the compiler switches that arduino uses and have not had time to investigate if avr-gcc can return alternative message structures. so if anyone knows avr-gcc please speak up Smiley

IP Logged

sixeyes2

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2011 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Dec 31st, 2011 at 3:25pm:
thanks, i'll fix that in a release over the next few days. if you get a mo pls add to codeplex just to make sure it doesn't get forgotten.
Done.

Quote:

as concerns compiler messages. currently vm has to work with what gets returned from avr-gcc. it's not very friendly at all. you won't believe how bad it is! i am using the compiler switches that arduino uses and have not had time to investigate if avr-gcc can return alternative message structures. so if anyone knows avr-gcc please speak up Smiley

Perhaps we could have an option to return exactly what comes out from the compiler?

That way, when I run into a problem I can change a setting in VM rather than having to fire up the Arduino IDE.

Iain

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2011 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
thanks. yes needs something. i'll have a play. maybe we can have a full error then a list of files affected as individual lines below. the full error can point to the last file mentioned in the error. or something Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint