Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Remote TCP serial upload (Read 3553 times)
Bruno
Newbies

Remote TCP serial upload
Jan 30th, 2012 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is using something to upload sketches to a remote PC connected through a network.
I had "some" success using com2com or hub4com, but it's very slow, and sometimes fails.
How exactly the new firmware is sent through the USB line?
Is there any reply for every byte written?
Because that's the only thing that I could think of that could slow it down so much.
Or has maybe someone taken a better approach?

Thanks,
bbf
Cheesy

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Remote TCP serial upload
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
It's an idea to investigate. Both visual studio and arduino use the avrdude.exe under your arduino ide folder to upload. I don't know about the communication between chip and avrdude but someone on the arduino.cc forum will.

Both ide systems already support programmer upload or serial upload so it's not a million miles away to add support for tcp to visual studio. 

As I said I don't know why it was slow. It might be easier to write a web service or raw tcp system that sends the .hex file that contains the arduino program to the remote pc as a file. Then have the remote pc run avrdue.exe for the upload. In fact you might be able to use some standard file mirror software then auto detect the new file and do the upload.

If you find time to experiment then let me know. If it's a fixed .hex file name, fixed remote serial port and fixed board then you can create a simple .bat file to automate the upload using avrdude.exe. or you can run avrdude .exe as a procress from a small vb or c# app

I'm not sure if switching on "verbose" in the tools>options>visual micro>compile section will show you verbose upload commands. If not then try uploading with the arduino ide and hold the shift key when you click upload. The shift key gives some verbose messages in arduino.

i hope that helps. if i find a tcp solution and the source then I would be keen to see it. I don't have time to play with tcp at the moment. It's not much fun if you get tyhe thread handling wrong Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2012 at 11:49pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint