Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic VM won't upload to mega 2560 (Read 8012 times)
MikeG
Newbies

VM won't upload to mega 2560
Feb 9th, 2012 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I've been working with the admin on this problem offline, but he suggested posting it here.  Here is what I am running...

Windows XP Pro
Visual Studio 2010 Premium
Visual Micro v26
arduino v0.22 relax patch or arduino v1.0 relax patch

My pde code is simply an empty setup() and loop() function.

I can compile and upload using either arduino IDE with no problems.  I can compile using VM.  When I hit F5 though, it will compile, but it never attempts to upload and none of the lights on the mega light up either.  It also shows no error or message about trying to upload.

The admin and I have tried...

Deleting the local data directory for VMicro
Made sure the "Upload using programmer" is NOT checked
Removed and reinstalled VM
I tried both arduino versions
Some other things I can't even remember.

Anybody have any clues?  I would really like to get this working.  Visual Micro is MUCH better than the arduino IDE (sorry guys)!

Mike

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: VM won't upload to mega 2560
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2012 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
I just uploaded to a 2560 on an apm2 board using arduino 0023 and then arduino 1.0 using. Both versions also tested OK with VS 2010 and VS 2008.

Everything I do to try to break it such as incorrectly "setting to use programmer" fails gracefully with nice messags in the "Sketch Build" output window.

I don't believe the relax patch will affect this and, as you say, you have also tried arduino 1.0

Questions

1)
So this is something about your visual studio. Can you export the "current_user/software/visual micro" registry and email or attach to a message. I would like to see what your visual micro settings are.

2)
Can you also confirm that after switching between arduino 0022 and 1.0 you restarted visual studio.

3)
Is the project name shown in bold in the visual studio solution explorer?

Thanks

IP Logged

MikeG
Newbies

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
1.  I attached a file with the registry setting in it as requested.  I didn't see anything unusual, but maybe you will.

2.  Yes, I tried it both ways with/without restart.  If you don't restart, it doesn't switch directories so the restart of VS is really mandatory Wink  I also rebooted in despiration Wink

3.  It is the only project and yes it is in bold.

After all we have tried, I too believe it is a VS setting that has gotten corrupted.  I just wish I knew which one!

Thanks for sticking with it!
Mike

IP Logged

MikeG
Newbies

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Oops!  Forgot the file.  I'll pm it since I don't see an option to attach a file to this message.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Tks for the registry pictures. You can just click the visual micro branch in regedit and selected "export" from the menus. this creates a .reg file which can be opened in notepad. It's a lot easier than your hardwork making the pictures Smiley

I wonder if your F5 macro has been re-assigned to build instead of debug. Can you please right click the project in the solution explorer and select Debug>Start new instance

Thanks

IP Logged

MikeG
Newbies

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
AMAZING!!!!!!  You found the problem!  I did as you suggested and it worked.  After that I was able to hit the green arrow and the F5 and everything worked!  Now I just have to figure out what I did to mess it up in the first place, but that is my problem!

You da' man!!!  Smiley

Thanks a million!
Mike

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2012 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
great news. well done for sticking with it and thanks for providing good info.

i can never remeber how to assign function keys to macros. it might be via the "keyboard" button on tools>customise>commands

but you can always google how to do a reset on visual studio. if i recall you can easily reset settings to defaults with a startup switch.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2012 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
BUG ALERT - Thanks to MikeG for putting up with all the "questions".

We have discovered that if the solution is selected in the visual studio solution explorer then F5 and "Debug>Start" both fail to upload.

In V26 and earlier, either ensure that any other item such as document or project are selected in the solution explorer prior to pressing F5

Fixed in version 27, thanks again MikeG!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint