Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Upload requires a serial port or programmer. Upload cancelled. (Read 11883 times)
Waterford
Newbies

Upload requires a serial port or programmer. Upload cancelled.
Mar 25th, 2012 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
The Serial Ports setting is blank although the drop-down list correctly shows (only) COM3, the port for my board. Sketches compile correctly but the upload fails with the message:

[font=Courier]Compiling 'Fade' for 'Arduino Diecimila or Duemilanove w/ ATmega168'
Binary sketch size: 1260 bytes (of a 14336 byte maximum) (0.2390137 secs)
Upload requires a serial port or programmer. Upload cancelled[/font]

This is a new installation of Visual Micro:

Visual Micro Version 27
    Upload using Programmers : [i]False[/i]

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Visual Studio 2010 Professional

Arduino 1.0 : "C:\arduino-1.0"
    Sketchbook: "C:\arduino-1.0\SLK"
    Duemilanove w/ATmega168

[i]The Arduino IDE works fine. I am able to compile and upload successfully. The Arduino IDE uses COM3.[/i]

I have tried cycling the selected board in the Arduino Boards drop-down but the Serial Ports setting remains blank. Clicking on the setting shows the list with "COM3" but selecting it does not set the field.

I tried resetting the addin using the command line below but it did not seem to have any effect:

[font=Courier]    devenv.exe /resetaddin Visual.Micro.Visual.Studio.Arduino.Helper[/font]

The "Arduino" entry does not appear in my Tools menu, perhaps because the board is not recognized.

I had an earlier version of Visual Micro installed and I was able to upload successfully to the same Arduino board. I uninstalled that version several months ago.

In the meantime, I took a side trip to explore Netduino but I'm back now because of the great Arduino community and the promising directions for Visual Micro.

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Upload requires a serial port or programmer. Upload cancelled.
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Yes the reset won't help this sounds like some confusion during load. That's the only way you would not see an arduino menu which is what we need to fix first.

We had an issue with .svn folders appearing under the libraries folder or under each lib folder but that was supposed to be fixed in 27

Can you confirm that under Tools>Options you only have 1 set of Visual Micro options? Also confirm that you see 27 in the Version towards the end of the Visual Micro options list?

Please send a list of files and folders in your sketch book folder and confirm if "Project>Add Arduino Library" shows a full set of User and Core libs

Thanks
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2012 at 4:37pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Waterford
Newbies

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
All is well; after a reinstallation, VM is working well.

Yes, there was 1 entry for Visual Micro in Tools->Options. The version number was 27. There were no Project->Add Arduino Library or Add New Arduino Item menu items.

Next, I followed the instructions here http://www.visualmicro.com/page/How-to-uninstall-the-arduino-addin-for-visual-st... to uninstall including removing the Registry entries.

After uninstalling, the Arduino Boards and Arduino Serial Ports toolbars were still listed in the right-click context menu. They also still appeared in the Customize dialog box  where I deleted them.

FWIW, this file (5/29/2011 timestamp) was present in my Visual Studio 2010 Addins folder:

Visual.Micro.Visual.Studio.Arduino.2010.AddIn_

I removed the file and re-installed at which point everything works great. Onward!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Okay great. That addin_ file was from an early version that didn't have an installer. It sounds like it was still being picked up and that an old vm dll is hanging around somewhere. 

There is a doc on the site about upgrading it somewhere but no matter now that you have a version using the auto install from October 2011 onwards Smiley

Thanks for letting me know and sorting it out

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint