Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" (Read 28630 times)
Enddoc

avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"
Aug 14th, 2012 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
Admin Note: If you have ticked "Tools>Upload using programmer" and have not purchased a special hardware programmer then you should un-tick the menu item for normal Arduino serial/usb upload (when you press F5 or "Debug>Start"). This thread will not apply to you

Good Evening,

The problem is no usb transfer 'F5.

OS is Windows 7 sp1, VS2010 setup is programmer = AVRISP mkII. Previously,  I ran Arduino 101 no problems and transferring worked well but not with VS2010. 

This is what I got when I chose F5:
Compiling 'MySketch' for 'Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega328'
Binary sketch size: 466 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum) (1.16 secs)
Uploading to I/O board using 'avrispmkii'
avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Sep  2 2011 at 19:38:36
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "V:\Arduino\arduino-1.0.1\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : stk500v2
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"
Lips Sealed

Can you help me?
Thanks in Advance.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2012 at 11:28pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report. 

I will look into it. I'll post an update when there is some news

In the meantime you might not know about the "External Editor" checkbox in arduino ide preferences. 

Switching the checkbox "on" allows the same sketch to be loaded in both arduino and visual studio at the same time.  Arduino will be in readonly mode but arduino will auto detect changes made in vs when you click upload.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2012 at 11:22pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2012 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Hi Enddoc,

1)
Can you please open the arduino ide and confirm if you can use the programmer to upload without this error? 

2)
and also please open device manager and tell me which usb driver shows for the avrisp mkII?

Info

I have a new win7 machine and I have the same problem as you. I also get the problem when attempting to use a programmer in the arduino ide. It was all working fine on my old win32 machine!

I have also installed atmel studio which has installed the jungo usb driver for the avrisp mkii. Windows doesn't seem to like it, some sort of usb driver problem unrelated to visual studio.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2012 at 11:24pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Enddoc

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
1)
Can you please open the arduino ide and confirm if you can use the programmer to upload without this error? 
ANSWER:
From preferences.txt > programmer=arduino:avrispmkii

This worked:
int ledPin =  13;    // LED connected to digital pin 13

void setup()
{

/* add setup code here */
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);   
}

void loop()
{

/* add main program code here */
    digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);   // set the LED on
  delay(1000);                  // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);    // set the LED off
  delay(1000);                  // wait for a second

}

2)
and also please open device manager and tell me which usb driver shows for the avrisp mkII?
ANSWER:
FTDI Ltd
Version: 2.08.14 built by WinDDK
It came with Ardunio 1.0.1 and it works well on COM3, COM5.

Info

I have a new win7 machine and I have the same problem as you. I also get the problem when attempting to use a programmer in the arduino ide. It was all working fine on my old win32 machine!

I have also installed atmel studio which has installed the jungo usb driver for the avrisp mkii. Windows doesn't seem to like it, some sort of usb driver problem unrelated to visual studio.

I could understand why yours might not work installing another IDE but my Windows 7 is completely virgin. Cheesy

IP Logged

Enddoc

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
Yes, Visual Micro, I compiled in vs2010 and used the Arduino IDE set to 'external editor' as a work around upload er. All works well.

Thank you. Cool

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2012 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback. I'll install new usb for my isp and find the problem. Hope to give feedback within a few days.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2012 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Hello,

The avrisp upload is working okay for me but reading your answers again I have some questions?

1) You say upload works okay from arduino ide on COM3, COM5. The avrisp doesn't have a COM port so that means normal serial upload is being used in arduino ide. What happens if you click "File>Upload using programmer" in the arduino ide?

2) Preferences.txt might be storing the default or last used programmer but it might not actually be uploading using a programmer. Both arduino and visual micro use an avr program called avrdude.exe to upload so we would expect the same results in both apps. Please untick "Tools>Upload using programmer" in Visual Micro and try your upload again.

3) My understanding is that FTDI drivers are used to map USB to pc serial ports which provides COM1,2,3 etc. These drivers provide normal arduino serial upload (via arduino usb port) and are not the drivers used by an external avrispII programmer which connects to the 6 pin ICSP header on an arduino board. Do you have a programmer connected to the ICSP port on the arduino or are you expecting upload using the normal arduno usb port?

Thanks very much, sorry if my questions are too basic

IP Logged

Enddoc

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2012 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Hello Mr. Visual Micro,

1) You say upload works okay from arduino ide on COM3, COM5. The avrisp doesn't have a COM port so that means normal serial upload is being used in arduino ide. What happens if you click "File>Upload using programmer" in the arduino ide?

Answer: I am using USB=COM method. I get: avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb" when I upload using programmer. So there is the problem. Can’t visual micro use USB=COM?  Smiley

2) Preferences.txt might be storing the default or last used programmer but it might not actually be uploading using a programmer. Both arduino and visual micro use an avr program called avrdude.exe to upload so we would expect the same results in both apps. Please untick "Tools>Upload using programmer" in Visual Micro and try your upload again.

Answer: Yes that fixed it! Grin How did I miss that check/unchecked within your instruction. I thought I read everything. I never checked it. You better verify your installer defaults are not set with the programmer uploading=true.

Never are instructions too simple. Simple and concise instructions are always best so thank you very much.

All and all I must complement you and your team for such a fine job Visual Micro is very fast vs the Arduino IDE.  Wink

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2012 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Thanks I am pleased it was the menu item incorrectly checked. 

I dont think it is the installer because it doesn't know about the registry keys for the menu items.

But anyway these things can easily happen and can be confusing for new users. Two other people had same problem before. We are here to help Smiley

Good luck with your projects
« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2012 at 6:44am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

sixeyes2

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 7:53am
Print Post  
I remember that I had this issue with VM when I first tried to use it. It seems to me that the use of  a programmer is an advanced feature. Perhaps that menu could be hidden?

Perhaps when you install the default is "Basic" mode but "Advanced" can be selected in the VM settings?

OR a section (tab) of VM settings called "Advanced" that enable these options.

This would prevent inadvertent use of the "Programmer" menus. As I recall there are a couple of other menu items that can cause problems but I can't remember them right now. Been quite a few months since I've worked on my Arduino projects Sad

Iain

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2012 at 10:33am
Print Post  
That is a good idea. The simpler the better makes sense Smiley

NOTE to Others: If you have not purchased a separate Arduino programmer and are using a USB cable to upload then ensure "Tools>Upload Using Programmer" is un-ticked (not ticked)

If you have a programmer (special hardware) then this thread explains how to load the correct usb drivers...

« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2012 at 12:38am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint