Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Debug using ISP (Read 3353 times)
Bryan

Debug using ISP
Sep 27th, 2012 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Hi :

Don't have one handy to test, but can the VM debug when connected to the Arduino by ISP.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Debug using ISP
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2012 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Hi, 

I am not sure what could be done with ISP. The debugger does support additional transports but they need to support the Arduino print() and println() statements. 

If print is not supported I guess we could add a wrapper easily enough using a C++ class but I haven't seen any ISP stuff for this.

For example, the debug currently supports (subject to some possible bugs)
HardwareSerial (default)
SoftwareSerial
FastSerial

It would certainly be easy to add BlueTooth and Xbee radios use serial so they are already supported.

If you are thinking to allow ReefAngel to use the Serial for its own stuff and to allow you a dedicated Serial connection for debug then take a look at using SoftwareSerial and an FTDI cable. 

SoftwareSerial

If your ReefAngel kit has a spare digital pin then that is all you need to get full debug (in trace mode), if it has 2 spare digital pins then the breakpoint "break/pause/F5 continue" will work.

The debugger only needs a single digital pin to work in trace mode.

To use SoftwareSerial with the debugger you don't need to alter the ReefAngel code. Simply select SoftwareSerial as the RemoteTransport and enter the digital pins in RemoteRX and RemoteTX. 

The debugger will automatically include SoftwareSerial for the Arduino in the background during debug compilation.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2012 at 9:42pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Bryan

Re: Debug using ISP
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2012 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Hi:

Will give it a try when i get a chance. Not for the ReefAngel, but for any projects that are Arduino based but moved onto a breadboard or a PCB. But in practical terms one would probably debug it on the Arduino board first.

I like the SoftwareSerial idea using 2 extra digital pins, that should be a perfect compromise.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint