Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fixed: Compile debug configuration fails. (Read 4423 times)
txvs_

Fixed: Compile debug configuration fails.
Oct 9th, 2012 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Hi.

I am going to share some issues just in case someone is experiencing the same problem that I had.

I migrated some Arduino Eclipse projects to Visual Studio in order to test VisualMicro plugin and its debugging capabilities.

I've find the plugin very easy to install and use. Then, the next step was debug a simple project.

I tried Visual Studio 2010 + visual micro plugin + debug upgrade beta.

When I set debug configuration, it failed to complie. 

I tried moving to Visual Studio 2012 with the same results.

I was using Arduino IDE 1.0, and I installed 1.0.1, I created a new project and I could compile debug configuration flawlessly.

Now, I can set a breakpoint and Arduino program stops there, but It does not jump into the code. I have to look for the correct debugger configuration, but I think I am close to the solution.

Regards  Wink

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Fixed: Compile debug configuration fails.
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Interesting I'll look into that thanks.

If you have debug brak/pause enabled it should open and jump to the correct source location.

There is also a menu option on the bug button that will jump to source even if break/pause is not enabled. Sounds like this needs a re-test. Are you using vs 2010 or 2012?

Thanks for the great info

IP Logged

txvs_

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2012 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Hi, and thanks for your response.

Currently I'm using VS 2012.

I have enabled Break/pause and jump to code.

I was expecting to see an arrow on the line of the breakpoint. There is not an arrow but the program stops, and results windows shows that the program is stopped at the line specified. If I set two breakpoints and I push continue, the program runs until the next breakpoint.

If I try to go step by step (F10 or F11) VS reports that the project is not updated and tries to rebuild it. I've just read that this is not possible.

If I set messages when hit the breakpoint, they are showed in the results window correctly.

I've things to read and test, but it's a great tool!!

Now, I will try to import a bigger Eclipse project and I will report some extra info.

Regards  Wink

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 10:06am
Print Post  
Thanks. I'll try to capture F10 and F11 so that it warns before rebuild in the same way that F5 warns.

I haven't been able to work out how to get a yellow spot next to the line that is in break mode. The debugger should highlight the line of source which isn't a nice but should show the line that is paused?
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2012 at 10:08am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

txvs_

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2012 at 10:15am
Print Post  
In fact, with F10 & F11 VS shows a warning window and you can choose not to rebuild the project.

Regarding the yellow spot, don't worry very much about it. As you said, the line is highlighted and there is a message telling you the line where the execution is paused. It is enough information, the only thing is to get used not to have the yellow spot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint