Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Encrypted autorecover file created - why? (Read 13183 times)
WaltG
Newbies

Encrypted autorecover file created - why?
Feb 27th, 2013 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
For some unknown (to me) reason, VS 2012/VisualMicro creates an encrypted autorecover file for arduino projects.  The only reason I discovered this was the prompt to back up the encryption key after creating an arduino project.  The filename is of the format "-AutoRecover.projectname.sln", in the Visual Studio backup files folder, which is not an encrypted folder. Does anyone know why the file is encrypted?  Besides being an odd surprise, this causes issues running some backups.

I did not see any other forum entries describing anything similar.   

Environment: Windows 7 Pro 64bit, VS 2012 Pro, VisualMicro 1.1212.30

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Encrypted autorecover file created - why?
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Hi there, visual micro doesn't have any control over vs files, it simply uses standard VS C++ projects. So if you created a new empty Win32 C++ project that does not contain a .pde or .ino source code file then you should expect to see the same thing.

I have never looked into how vs manages auto recover, but it always seems to work well (when needed). I suspect this might be part of how it works.

I found this article on google http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/208c6tcy.aspx

IP Logged

WaltG
Newbies

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2013 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick reply.

I would have assumed that this was strictly under conrol of VS as well.  But I have never seen anything similar, before using the VisualMicro extension (which I really like). 

After reading your post, I specifically ran through a scenario creating some C++ solutions.  A non-encrypted "autorecover....sln" file was created in each case.  I then created an arduino project and again VS created an encrypted autorecover file.   

So I don't know what is causing this, but it is consistently different.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Thanks for looking at this. 

If you create a Win32 Dll, click the "empty project" checkbox. Does this create an encrypted auto recover?

If not then place add a .ino file with the same name as the project. Does this create an encrypted auto recover?

Switch board and save the project. Does this create an encrypted auto recover?

Close vs and re-open the project. Does this create an encrypted auto recover?

Close vs, re-open then "File>New>Arduino Project". Provide a name. Does this create an encrypted auto recover?

Thanks

IP Logged

WaltG
Newbies

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Tim, 

Here is what I found.  BTW, I set default autorecover time down to 1 minute to expedite the process.

If you create a Win32 Dll, click the "empty project" checkbox. Does this create an encrypted auto recover?

No autorecover files created.

If not then place add a .ino file with the same name as the project. Does this create an encrypted auto recover?

Non-encrypted file ~AutoRecover.Win32test2.vcxproj created when I added source ino file (no .sln recovery file yet).  So I added a blank data file to the solution to force a .sln recovery file. Non-encrypted ~AutoRecover.Win32test2.sln file added to backup files.

Switch board and save the project. Does this create an encrypted auto recover?

Saving the project removed all recovery files. 

Close vs and re-open the project. Does this create an encrypted auto recover?

No recovery files created. So I again added a file to the solution, which caused a non-encrypted ~AutoRecover.Win32test2.sln file to be created, along with several other non-encrypted recovery files for the individual items. I then added an existing arduino project to the solution. An autorecover file was created for the existing .ino file, but all recovery files remained unencrypted.

Close vs, re-open then "File>New>Arduino Project". Provide a name. Does this create an encrypted auto recover?

Encrypted ~AutoRecover.Ardtest3.sln created. Non-encrypted ~AutoRecover.Ardtest3.vcxproj created.

In summary, a number of machinations of Win32 code produced .sln recovery files, none encrypted.  A creation of an independent arduino project created an encrypted .sln recovery file within a a minute or so.

Hope this helps.  Thanks again.   

Walt

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks, great info. So it seems that vs is deciding when to create an auto recovery file and also what type of recovery file to use. It also seems to indicate that when the vs newProjectWizard is used via macro to create an empty c++ project vs changes how it works with auto recovery.

When I find some time I will do some testing. Whilst vm does not have any control over this setting it will be interesting to learn about how vs works. In doing so we might find a combination that make vs perform in a different way.

IP Logged

WaltG
Newbies

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Tim,

Appreciate the attention.  Obviously not the highest priority of a problem, but an oddity/annoyance nonetheless.

Thanks,

Walt

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2013 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Out of interest how does the problem present itself to you. Do you see an error? Does auto recover fail? It will help me to know what to look for. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2013 at 8:15pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

WaltG
Newbies

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Tim,

The "awareness" of this occured when I saw the "backup your encryption key" prompt which Windows produces the first time a file is encrypted for a given userid. The "problem" aspect of this occured while I was attempting to run a manual backup, which choked when it ran across the encrypted file (since I was running from a different user ID).  I have had similar problems in the past with other standard backup programs, which run automated backups under other system ID's.   This is what led me to investigate in the first place.

Added clarification:  As far as I can tell, this issue has caused no problems actually using VS 2012. I have had one VS 2012 "stopped working" occurence while editing an Arduino project.  But I have no additional info on what specifically might have caused that.   

Having said that, the issue is at this point really little more than an annoyance, which can be worked around.  In the short term, therefore, I'm not sure how much effort you need to put in here.  But in the long term, it possibly points to some type of underlying issue either with either VisulaMicro or MS VS which is not clearly understood. So I leave it to you to prioritize as you see fit.

For those of us who have gotten into Arduino programming (and already somewhat familiar with the MS VS environment), the VisualMicro product is great. Anything you can do to make the product even better is appreciated. 

Hope that helps. 

Thanks again, Walt
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2013 at 9:07pm by WaltG »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2013 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks Walt!

Yes, when time permits I am just keen to find out why this happens but thanks for letting me know it's not urgent.

IP Logged

Dennis Hill
Developer

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
Your not alone WaltG.

I also came across the prompt to "export" my encryption keys. But I honestly thought at the time it was VS wanting attention since I had just done a clean re-install and update to the program before running the Visual Micro plug-ins.

I'm using VS 2010 Pro if it makes any difference.

IP Logged

WaltG
Newbies

Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2013 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Dennis, 

Sorry I missed your post earlier.

Thanks for letting us know. 

Walt

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint