Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) selecting programmer (Read 8975 times)
Doug Basberg

selecting programmer
Mar 19th, 2013 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
I hesitate bothering the forum with what I think is my lack of reading VM documentation.  I have tried to find a solution, but failed.  I want to select the programmer/debug device.  That is in the programmer.txt file and selected in a menu in Arduino IDE.  I have not found a similar selection mechanism in VM.  What are the best programming/debugging devices for working with VM?  I am ready to buy such a device.  I have the 2x3 connector on my board; will that do for debugging with VM?  Is JTAG a better choice for VM?  My ultimate project will be fairly complex and decent debug will be a big help.  
Thanks for any help, Doug.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: selecting programmer
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2013 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Hi Doug,

Visual Micro provides the same options as the Arduino IDE but in Visual Studio these options are on the "Tools>Arduino" menu. These menus allow you to select a programmer. The "Upload using programmer" menu item can be ticked so that normal usb upload is overridden to the specified hardware programmer (that you have purchased or made).

The normal Arduino upload uses USB on the selected serial port. 

The debugger can only use USB. You can upload using a hardware programmer but you will still debug using a usb cable or serial radio/bluetooth etc.

I hope this answers the question

IP Logged

Doug Basberg

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Mar 19th, 2013 at 11:08pm:
The debugger can only use USB. You can upload using a hardware programmer but you will still debug using a usb cable or serial radio/bluetooth etc.

Thanks Tim Smiley
I have been using avrdude and bitbanging on SPI pins of ATmega to program and Codeblock Arduino to write the software.  But I am tired of using serial comm print commands to debug.  Your debugger from VS (which I have used for Windows programming) is just what I need.  From what you have said, I now envision converting the signals from my FTDI dongle to levels that I can feed to the SPI (MISO/MOSI/SCK/RESET).  I am running the ATmega328p at 3.3V and 12 MHz.  What RS232 pin handles the reset from your debugger/programmer interface?  Does this sound like it will work or should I use RXD/TXD (pins 2,3 on ATMEGA328p)?  That probably depends on the bootloader.  I am working with a 'Gertboard' meant to be an I/O board for the 'Raspberry PI'.  The raspberry pi runs Wheezy Linux and uses avrdude to upload code to the ATmega on the Gertboard.  I also will be working with several Atmel processors on breadboards, so I want to understand what the USB connection to VM/VS debugger must see to upload and debug.  Is there a writeup somewhere I can learn more from?
Doug

IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 7:49am
Print Post  
Doug
The Arduino installation comes with all the bootloaders that you require. I work on breadboard a lot and when I get a new virgin chip, I program it with the bootloader (using my isp) and then use the VM system. I also use an Usb converter from Sparkfun if I dont have a usb chip on the design.
Look under (my path) C:\arduino-1.0.3\hardware\arduino\bootloaders

IP Logged

Doug Basberg

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Marius wrote on Mar 20th, 2013 at 7:49am:
I also use an Usb converter from Sparkfun

Which Sparkfun part do you use?  I was looking at the BOB-00718 'FT232RL breakout board USB to serial' for $14.95.  Do you think that is a good choice?

IP Logged

gelius59

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 11:12am
Print Post  
BOB-00718 'FT232RL breakout board USB to serial' for $ 14.95.
Hello. Quite should work for Arduino, converter USB serial TTL.
I use FT232BL.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2013 at 12:41pm by gelius59 »  

IP Logged

Marius
Developer

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Same as Gelius59
Breakout Board for FT232RL USB to Serial
BOB-00718

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2013 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
As stated by Marius if you want to use the debugger you must have the arduino bootloader installed on your atmega chip. Arduino supports reset via it's reset pin. Upload must be via the main rx/tx or a hardware programmer. 

The debug requires a standard upload of the "debug" hex produced by visual micro. After the hex has been uploaded (vm uses avrdude) the debug features are ALL via Serial.

Prior to the debug compile, you have the option to decide on the type of "Transport" for the debugger communications between pc and Arduino or vica versa. The current transport options are any of the serial ports on the Arduino or via any software serial compliant Arduino digital pin. 

The debugger requires only one pin unless you want break/pause or to change variable values while the Arduino is running, in which case you need two pins.

If you want the debugger to reset the Arduino each time the debugger starts then you will need to use the main Serial port on the Arduino and to ensure that Dtr is checked on the Serial Monitor. 

Keep in mind that an Arduino can be running a debug version of a program for months. The debugger can start and stop without upsetting the currently running Arduino program using any "Transport" method, but reset always needs the main Arduino hardware serial for the transport.

The "Transport" is set in the project properties.

The above info gives a brief overview of some of the options. There are other options but I'm not sure they are required.

Does the above explain what you need or is something missing? If you need something different then let me know and I will try to explain some more stuff  Smiley

IP Logged

Doug Basberg

Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2013 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Mar 20th, 2013 at 10:55pm:
Does the above explain what you need or is something missing? If you need something different then let me know and I will try to explain some more stuff 

Tim;

Exactly what I needed to know.  That will let me do all the programming and debugging I need on a breadboard.  You made my life much easier.  Many Thanks Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint