Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic project name .cpp file created by VM package? (Read 3701 times)
Doug Basberg

project name .cpp file created by VM package?
Apr 22nd, 2013 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
I have been developing an X10 power-line control class that operates from interrupts rather than using delays.  The output compare interrupt I am using needs to run an extensive state machine to follow thru the many phases of using the interrupt.  My main program has the project name (x10i_dev.ino).  All has been going well for weeks with good compiles.  I get a message window saying file(s) have been modified outside, which I assume is your code working and I accept the changes 'for all'.  That seemed to be OK until now.  I have lost 'intelli-sense' on startup several times and then it starts working again.  The big problem, that just happened, is that when I compile, a file x10i_dev.cpp is created in the background that has same content as my x10i-dev.ino.  The compile fails pointing to the file (created by VM?)

I know this is a rambling description, but I hope you recognize what might be happening.  Or, have a suggestion about how I might debug what is happening.  Could the project have reconfigured to not be doing Arduino?

Any help greatly appreciated. 
Doug

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: project name .cpp file created by VM package?
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Hi,

The message you get to say that the file has been changed in the background suggests the following...

I think you have opened the source from the temp build folder by mistake. It is possible you did this as a result of dbl clicking a compiler error message. Normally the plugin ensures that error messages are re-pointed to the original source code but this one sounds like it got away!

The plugin NEVER changes your own source code in the sketch folder, only ever changes files in the temp folder.

So I think that when you edit x10i_dev.ino you are actually editing the source from the temp folder. This problem should be visible in vs if you look at the solution tree with the x10i_dev.ino active, the x10i_dev.ino entry in the solution tree will not be hi-lighted?

The .cpp is also created "out of the way" in the temp build folder and if you have opened it you will keep getting the "file has changed" prompt.

The best way to resolve all of these issues should be to close all open source code files and re-open by double clicking the relevant file name(s) in solution explorer.. This will ensure you have the correct arduino sources codes open. And also ensure you close the x10i_dev.ino.cpp

Does this help?

ps: Intellisense will not be displayed unless the source code belongs to the current project. So again this suggests that you have the temp copy open instead of the original, the lack of highlight in the solution explorer should show this to be the case.
« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:16pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Doug Basberg

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:13pm:
Does this help?

Tim, your the man! Cool  
Now I fully understand what I did wrong.  
Your help is always of the highest quality, fast, and courteous.  I do appreciate all the time you give to help others. Smiley

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Thanks, pleased its working for you.

If you see the combination, I am interested to know what type of error is not being resolved correctly back to the local source code. 

If you double click an error and it takes you to the temp copy by mistake then please copy and paste the entire error into an email for me (info [at] visualmicro.com)

Thanks v much

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint