Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Awaiting feedback on the Atmel Studio beta please (Read 17037 times)
Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Awaiting feedback on the Atmel Studio beta please
May 2nd, 2013 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
This thread is now closed

Others... Please download the latest RC version of Visual Micro and create new forum threads with any problems, questions or ideas. Thanks

The 1305.01 beta in the Visual Micro downloads list includes beta support for Amtel Studio 6.1. Please install the latest version of Atmel Studio 6.1 from the Atmel web site (currently April 2013).

Please report things that do not work. Here are a few initial points of interesting

1) The installer configures Atmel Studio syntax color coding for pde and ino files. Do you see this color coding?

2) The installer configures Atmel Studio to display intellisense for pde/ino files. Do this work?

3) If you open an existing sketch File>Open>Arduino Sketch. Is an Atmel Studio project automatically created? Does the project automatically include all of the arduino sketch code? Does it compile and upload?

Known Bugs

1) Intellisense is good but sometimes doesn't refresh when expected. Re-start Atmel Studio to reset the intellisense. Atmel are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it.

2) The automatically created "Visual Micro" sub folder below each sketch is visible in the Atmel Studio project tree which is unsightly. We are in discussion with Atmel for a solution to this minor niggle

3) Project>Show all Arduino files does not work in Atmel Studio. It is not currently possible to list all of the library and Arduino core sources in the project tree. However the right click "Go To" implementation and other Atmel code explorer tools can be used to view these sources.  These sources are not normally available to view in the Arduino IDE so the priority for this issue is low. This feature currently only works in VS Pro and above. We are in discussion with Atmel for a solution to this minor niggle.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2013 at 9:17pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

principia

Re: Awaiting feedback on the Atmel Studio beta please
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2013 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Tim
Here's some initial feedback on AS6.1 and the VM beta. Colour coding works for language keywords in .ino files but intellisense doesn't seem to. In VS2010 both work fine. I suspect that the interaction with the Visual Assist extension causes the problem but I can't easily disable it in AS. As another example the "right click - GoTo implementation" doesn't work in .ino files.

The AS project files are created and compilation is all OK.

Getting everything to work in AS6.1 work be great - I use the ASF wizard and the LUFA USB library to programme the 16U4 and an Arduino sketch for the 328 on an Arduino R3 board - and have to swap between AS and VS.

Keep up the good work.
Andy

IP Logged

principia

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2013 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
A summary of my PM to Tim on getting the VM beta to work under AS6.1. The addin didn' load under AS6.1 so ...

I edited the addins path in AS 6.1 (tools / options) to point to the correct location and then got an error 80070002 (file not found) when AS tried to load the addin. I had a look at the "AS6.AddIn" file and observed that it points to C:\Program Files (x86)\... unlike the VS2010 ".AddIn" file. I'm running 32 bit Windows 7 so I edited out the (x86) and the addin loaded fine. 

I also noted an erros message in AS6.1 and VS2010 "Visual Micro: Invalid Visual Studio Setup Request Detected - Exiting ...." although everything seems to load OK. Following Tim's PM I tried using a /ResetAddin fix which seemed to work on VS2010 but not on AS6.1. However I'm not really convinced it solved the problem on VS2010 - AS6.1 and VS2010 seem temperamental on initial load.
Andy

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2013 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Andy, thanks very much for the great feed back.

1)

Thanks for making that installer issue clear. Yes, in Atmel Studio the "Tools>Options>Add-in/macros and locations>add-in locations" list should contain an entry that points to the location where the visual micro application is installed. The installer is failing to add this entry correctly on some systems.

2)

I'll do some more testing over the next few days to see why that might be happening to your system. Here are some random thoughts/info.

Q The intellisense issue might that vm is failing to update the Atmel project cpp includes. Can you check the project properties please?

Q: I don't have the issue myself. Have you applied the Atmel project system patch from the thread below/above?

Q Have you tried switching board and back again then re-starting Atmel Studio. Does this fix things?

There are some known refresh bugs with the intellisense in Atmel Studio, Atmel are looking into this not just for vm but generally. 

Info

Having said that I've worked around the problems in the main so would not expect this issue. 

When I first started trying to hook this up I had to re-start Atmel Studio for intellisense changes to be recognized by visual assist. I also tried switch visualassistx caching off but it didn't help. 

In the end I found the best solution, while we wait for a fix from atmel, would be to add every possible include path to the project options so that when a library is included the intellisense would work immediately. This turned out to work well enough, for now, in my tests but is not great. I think Atmel will improve on this issue quite soon but that's just a guess.

So all we need to do to ensure we have done our part is to see if the project include paths are correct after an Atmel Studio restart. If they are not correct (arduino libs and ESPECIALLY the arduino core etc) then I have a vm bug.

Q Can you tell me how you created the atmel project? 

Did vm create the project automatically when you opened a pde/ino, or did you use "file>new arduino project" or did you have an existing atmel project and included a .ino/.pde as the same name as the project?

Sorry for the dump and all the questions

Thanks

IP Logged

Niclas Flach
Newbies

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2013 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
1. Not for everything. some color codingis present.

2. no intellisense here im afraid.

3. Yes i get a question if I want a project to be created.

(edit: forgot to mention that compilation and upload works great to my leonardo board! thanks for the great software)

/Niclas
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2013 at 6:54pm by Niclas Flach »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2013 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Please email your atmel studio project to info [at] visualmicro.com

If possible email the entire sketch folder and the "visual micro" sub folder zipped.

Thanks

Q: Did you install visual micro before or after running the Atmel Studio install/upgrade?
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2013 at 8:58pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Niclas Flach
Newbies

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2013 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
Email Sent...
Thanks for taking time looking at this!

Best regards
/Niclas
(PS. found by accident that if i change the file ending from .ino to .c the color coding activates once i close the file end opens it again... the intellisense also start to function properly ds.)
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2013 at 8:36pm by Niclas Flach »  

IP Logged

principia

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2013 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Hi
The method used to create the project doesn't seem to alter the behaviour or provide a fix. All the includes look OK as well. 

I also observed that changing the extension from .ino to .cpp works. I investigated a bit and noted that VS2010 has .ino and .pde registered as C/C++ valid extensions but AS6.1 doesn't allow that in Tools / Options / Editor. Obvious playing with AS6.1 package definition files and a AtemlStudio /ResetSettings doesn't seem to let me get round the .ino registrations.
Hope that helps
Andy

IP Logged

Dennis Hill
Developer

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2013 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Just came across the new version for AS6.1

I already have templates installed for the Arduino. Do you recommend a clean install or go ahead and give it a whirl?

IP Logged

Ad Wortel
Newbies

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2013 at 8:01am
Print Post  
I cannot install this beta. An error 1001 occurs. "InstallUtilLib.dll unknown error". I try to install on Windows 8 pro and AS 6.1.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2013 at 9:11am
Print Post  
@AdWortel, the plugin is compatible with many .net version so the installer works with .NET3.5 which works with all versions of windows Smiley

Please enable .NET3.5 windows feature via Control Panel

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 7th, 2013 at 9:13am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2013 at 9:12am
Print Post  
@Dennis, sorry missed your message. The plugin ignored all Atmel templates so a clean install is not required

IP Logged

Ad Wortel
Newbies

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2013 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Enabling .NET 3.5 solved it! Thanks.

IP Logged

principia

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2013 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Tim
I've just completed the installation of the latest beta. For safety I uninstalled all VM components and manually removed empty toolbars, re-applied the latest AS6.1 patch and then installed VM beta and ... success.
Both VS2010 and ASS6.1 seem to be working fine - intellisense on .ino and .cpp files for both and the build is the same for both on one of my larger projects.

Great work
Andy

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #14 - May 9th, 2013 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
Great news and I heard via email that Niclas has also found that intellisense and syntax color works after installing 1305.09. 

Thanks very much for the update

Tip: to clean the UI after uninstall you can run your usual Atmel or Vs shortcut with this text appended with a space after the .exe name. After running the ide once, close and remove the text.

Quote:
/resetaddin Visual.Micro.Visual.Studio.Arduino.Helper

This thread is now closed

Others... Please download the latest RC version of Visual Micro and create new forum threads with any problems, questions or ideas. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2013 at 12:08am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint