Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Code size, RAM size and map file while compiling Arduino project with Atmel Studio (Read 8670 times)
david edwin
Newbies

Code size, RAM size and map file while compiling Arduino project with Atmel Studio
Sep 6th, 2013 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
I have got the Bluetooth low energy SDK for Arduino working with the Visual Micro and Atmel studio. I am able to debug and it works quite nicely. 

When I build the project we get the below output
“Compiling 'ble_uart_project_template' for 'Arduino Uno'
Binary sketch size: 9814 bytes (30% of a 32256 byte maximum) (1.74 secs)”

I would like to get a proper compilation output. Specifically code size, RAM used and a easy way to get to the map file.
I also want a more detailed compilation log similar to the verbose mode in Arduino.

Is that possible.

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Code size, RAM size and map file while compiling Arduino project with Atmel Studio
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Hi David,

It is good to hear the debugger is useful thanks.

1) Detailed Memory Report

This wiki article provides an example of the "detailed memory usage" and "dis-assembly" output.

So far these features have only been tested with Arduino AVR boards, probably needs an update for sam (arduino due).

2) There is also a real-time "free memory graph" available during debug. You will see the project property to enable this automatically. This project property reports FreeMemory from the start of each loop(). However, a better alternative is to include the special variable named  {@FreeMemoryReport} in a breakpoint "When Hit" message. This is recommended because it provides more specific control over when the "FreeMemory" test is performed and also allows the micro-controller to run at full speed between tests.

3) In "tools>options>visual micro" there is a "Compile" option called "always show build folder". This will give you a CTRL+CLICK link to the map in the output of each compile.

4) In "tools>options>visual micro" there is a "Compile" option called "Verbose" which will give you the same verbose output that is shown when using "Verbose" in the Arduino Ide.

5) In "tools>options>visual micro" there is a "Compile" option called "Always show build properties" which will give you the arduino boards.txt, platform.txt and visual micro applications.txt properties that were used to build the compiler statements.

6) If you point Visual Micro (Arduno 1.5.x) to a copy of Arduino 1.5.3 you will see "min memory" is also summarized after all avr builds
Quote:
Binary sketch size: 504 bytes (used 2% of a 32256 byte maximum) (7.78 secs)
Minimum Memory Usage: 13 bytes (1% of a 2048 byte maximum)

I hope this help, let us know if I have missed an point

Thanks
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2013 at 3:14pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

david edwin
Newbies

Re: Code size, RAM size and map file while compiling Arduino project with Atmel Studio
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Thanks. I checked view -> Properties window in Atmel Studio 6.1 and I do not see it as you have shown in the Wiki. I assume that you are using Visual Micro from Visual Studio.

This is what I see

(I do not know how to attach an image so in text from below)

Properties
ble_uart_project_template Project Properties
Misc
  Project file     ....x..
  Project folder .....x..

==

I do not see any entries for "Micro Compile" and "Micro Debug"

Am I missing something ?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2013 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Atmel made changes to Atmel Studio that allows these properties to be displayed. You need to be running the June version of Atmel Studio 6.1 or later to see them.

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint