Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Using Visual Micro With MicroView Device (Read 5212 times)
MicroNew
Newbies

Using Visual Micro With MicroView Device
Mar 7th, 2015 at 4:00am
Print Post  
Has anyone had any success using Visual Micro with the (100% Uno-compatible) MicroView?  I've got its library imported into VS, the code compiles, uploads (tx LEDs blink), and then... nothing.  The screen remains blank.  No errors or messages.  I can use the MicroView with the regular Arduino IDE without a problem.  I'm using MicroView's USB programmer, if that makes any difference.  Tried Arduino versions 1.5 and 1.6, board type set to Uno. 
Undecided
TIA

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Using Visual Micro With MicroView Device
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 4:33am
Print Post  
Hi,

Please switch off "tools>visual micro>automatic debugging" so that we know the debugger isn't confusing things.

Then try another upload.

Thanks

IP Logged

MicroNew
Newbies

Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Turned off auto-debugging as per the instructions, but met with the same result.  I know something is communicating with the board; if there was something on the screen, it gets erased as the upload starts.  This is the same behavior that occurs when I'm using the Arduino IDE.  Its like there's something missing as the end of the upload to tell the MicroView to start running the program.  Just a guess.

FWIW, output from Micro Build:
Compiling 'Project1' for 'Arduino Uno'
Binary sketch size: 3,208 bytes (used 10% of a 32,256 byte maximum) (0.98 secs)
Minimum Memory Usage: 595 bytes (29% of a 2048 byte maximum)
Uploading to I/O board using 'COM4'
Done uploading

I'd be more than happy to purchase Visual Micro if we can get this resolved, as I find the Arduino IDE is just awful for any kind of significant development effort.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks for the info. You don't need to buy Visual Micro the free version does all but a few things and support is currently free for all.

The confusing thing about this is that you are just using an Arduino Uno which is the most commonly used board and one that has worked with visual micro almost since time began.

For upload we run the avrdude.exe that is installed below the arduino ide folder. The arduino ide uses the same exe to run the upload (avrdude it an atmel command line program).

So other than a few milliseconds of timing we should get the same results as the arduino ide.

The only area that could possibly be different would be if the compiler is resolving some library sources from a different location to the arduino ide.

1)
If you compile with visual micro in release mode is the final program size reported in the output window the same as is produced in the arduino ide?

2)
In the arduino ide, please switch on file>preferences>compiler and uplaod verbose then re-start the ide and make a full compile
In Visual Micro switch on "tools>visual micro>compiler verbose", then click "Build>clean solution", then compile and upload.

Please email the two outputs from 2) above to info [at] visualmicro.com

Thanks

IP Logged

MicroNew
Newbies

Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
Well, I'm an idiot.  Turns out, I had forgot to copy the two lines of code that are required before drawing to the device:

Code (C++)
Select All
uView.begin();
uView.clear(PAGE);
// start drawing...

Everything works fine now.  Really appreciate your help with this though.  And nice job with VisualMicro.  I know creating Visual Studio plug-ins can be a nightmare.
Cheesy 

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2015 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Good news. Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint