Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic Arduino 1.6.1 + Teensyduino 1.21 linking error in Visual Studio 2013 (Read 6605 times)
boo
Newbies

Arduino 1.6.1 + Teensyduino 1.21 linking error in Visual Studio 2013
Mar 20th, 2015 at 4:36am

After installing Arduino 1.6.1, then Teensyduino 1.21, the Arduino IDE works fine. However, Visual Micro for Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition displays the following error message:

Code
Select All
"C:\arduino/hardware/tools/arm/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc" -Os -Wl,--gc-sections,--relax,--defsym=__rtc_localtime=15933683 "-TC:\arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3/mk20dx256.ld" {build.flags.ldspecs} -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -o lf" pp.o" "C:\Users\martin\AppData\Local\V.Micro\Arduino\Builds\bot-coc\teensy31/core.a" "-LC:\Users\martin\AppData\Local\V.Micro\Arduino\Builds\bot-coc\teensy31" -larm_cortexM4l_math -lm
arm-none-eabi-gcc*:error: {build.flags.ldspecs}: No such file or directory
Error creating .elf 

It appears the {build.flags.ldspecs} macro defined in Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\boards.txt has not been correctly replaced on the command line by Visual Micro.

The workaround I've found is to edit the contents of Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\platform.txt, replacing:

Code
Select All
## Link
recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.path}{build.toolchain}{build.command.gcc}" {build.flags.optimize} {build.flags.ld} {build.flags.ldspecs} {build.flags.cpu} -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" {object_files} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "-L{build.path}" {build.flags.libs} 

with:

Code
Select All
## Link
## recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.path}{build.toolchain}{build.command.gcc}" {build.flags.optimize} {build.flags.ld} {build.flags.ldspecs} {build.flags.cpu} -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" {object_files} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "-L{build.path}" {build.flags.libs}
recipe.c.combine.pattern="{compiler.path}{build.toolchain}{build.command.gcc}" {build.flags.optimize} {build.flags.ld} --specs=nano.specs {build.flags.cpu} -o "{build.path}/{build.project_name}.elf" {object_files} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "-L{build.path}" {build.flags.libs} 

As you can see, I've just replaced {build.flags.ldspecs} with --specs=nano.specs as suggested in Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\boards.txt.

Is it a way to fix it in a more conventional way?

This same bug has already been reported here in a previous Visual Micro version.  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2015 at 4:40am by boo »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Arduino 1.6.1 + Teensyduino 1.21 linking error in Visual Studio 2013
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 5:31am

Arduino 1.6.1 has only just been released and is supported

The teensyduino beta is not yet supported

For teensy please follow std instructions on visualmicro.com until our release notes say the latest is supported. Arduino 1.0.6 plus teensy.

Or do as you have done and hack the config 😊 

Thanks
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2015 at 5:59am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 5:34am

Please do not report bugs without reading our documentation and also please do not expect visual micro to incorporate ide changes the same week they are produced by the manufacturer

Please also use the forum search to find existing threads that already answer questions

I can tell you that Paul from pjrc has been in touch during the last week to notify us of the latest changes so they will be implemented during the next week or so
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2015 at 5:56am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

boo
Newbies

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 6:03am

Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Mar 20th, 2015 at 5:34am:
Please do not report bugs without reading our documentation...

OK. I'm confused and sorry. I've read the documentation without seeing anything related to this bug. I also don't see any forum rule I would have abused. If you see anything I've missed, please point it to me and I will try to conform to it.

... and also please do not expect visual micro to incorporate ide changes the same week they are produced by the manufacturer

I'm sorry you've felt any pressure from me. My poor English does not help to communicate good enough to include all its nuances. Please forgive my rudeness. It wasn't intended.

I understand how difficult it is to support all the devices and sincerly appreciate the Visual Micro plugin for Visual Studio.

I wanted to help with the bug hunting and some suggestions to fix the encountered issue.

Please also use the forum search to find existing threads that already answer questions

Do you have any thread in mind discussing this issue? I haven't found any. I probably haven't used the right keywords and haven't read the right messages. The other similar thread I've pointed out was missing any answer. Since I've found a workaround to the encountered user issue, I've first shared this discovery, then reported it here in case it was still unknown. For more insight, I've added links to both threads. Wasn't it the right thing to do?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2015 at 6:07am

Yes sorry I do appreciate your help in the other thread

I don't provide forum support for beta versions

Currently visual micro works with the teensy 1.0 app name in visual micro and based on arduino 1.0.6 teensyduino.

Search visualmicro.com for the teensy page

There have been many recent changes between teensy and arduino. Visual micro will bring them together in next release

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2015 at 11:21pm

Hi,

Please see current status in our release notes and also see the Teensy page for configuration instructions

http://www.visualmicro.com/page/Visual-Micro-Product-Version-History-Fixes-and-A...
http://www.visualmicro.com/page/Teensy-for-Microsoft-Visual-Studio.aspx

Due to the fact that all Arduino 1.6.1 Teensy definitions are listed as AVR we will not be able to support it for a while. The above provides initial untested support for Teensy 121 with Arduino 1.0.x. Please follow the new releases section of the forum for future notifications about Teensy.

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint