Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic VM debug causes program to stop writing data to TFT display. (Read 5772 times)
HansBear
Newbies

VM debug causes program to stop writing data to TFT display.
Jun 17th, 2015 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Hi all
Have a problem with Visual Micro debug with VS 2013 community edition.  I'm testing a ITEAD 2.8 LCD display using the UTFT library and an Arduino Mega 2560.  The code works great providing I don't compile with debug on.  When debug is on it appears (using debug) that the program is running but there is no output to the display.  The display doesn't use a serial port so that shouldn't be the problem.  Anyone with suggestions?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: VM debug causes program to stop writing data to TFT display.
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2015 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Hi,

If you are sure that using the serial port is not the problem then it must be the use of the delay() timer.

Visual micro prevents the Arduino from flooding the pc with serial messages when novice users place a breakpoint in a fast loop without condition.

You can switch the project property "ThrottleEnabled= false" to prevent this behaviour.

I hope that helps

IP Logged

HansBear
Newbies

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2015 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
Certain it isn't the serial port.  Set ThrottleEnabled = false still no joy.  Ensured that there are no breakpoints in the code.  Monitored the digital and analogue pins I'm using and they seem to work fine, yet nothing displayed on the TFT.  I've used breakpoints to check various areas of the code and this works fine.  However the only time the display works is with debug turned off.

IP Logged

HansBear
Newbies

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2015 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
My apologies, your prompt about serial port usage triggered a thought  so I did a test.  It does appear to be related to the serial port as I get the same problem when I enable it "Serial.begin(9600)" and debug off.   Will investigate further to see what the UTFT library is actually doing when it prints to the TFT display.

IP Logged

HansBear
Newbies

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2015 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Ok have found the cause of the problem, the solution may be somewhat more difficult.  It appears that the TFT display I am using connects to D0 and D1 which are also the Rx and Tx pins for the USB serial port. When running standalone the serial port is not in use and all is well, however when in VM debug mode the serial port is in use and the display ceases to function.

So thanks for the help.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2015 at 10:01am
Print Post  
I see, you can use other digital pins with SoftwareSerial if need be

IP Logged

HansBear
Newbies

Reply #6 - Jun 18th, 2015 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Looking in to that.  But now that I know I can still use the debug facility (which has already solved one problem).  Many thanks for the pointers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint