Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Debug Compile Error (Read 4747 times)
HansBear
Newbies

Debug Compile Error
Jul 15th, 2015 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
I'm attempting to set up a second serial port for debugging, I believe all the parameters a set correctly.  However when I select "Remote Transport" as SoftwareSerial the following error occurs:

Compiling debug version of 'MiniBot' for 'Arduino Mega w/ ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)'
Build folder: file:///F:/Visual%20Studio%202013/Temp/MiniBot/mega_atmega2560
MiniBot.ino:In function 'void setup()'
MiniBot.ino:26:60: error: no matching function for call to 'VisualMicroDebug::begin(HardwareSerial*, long int)'
MiniBot.ino:candidates are
VM_DBG.h:begin(SoftwareSerial*)
VM_DBG.h:candidate expects 1 argument, 2 provided
VM_DBG.h:begin(SoftwareSerial*, long unsigned int)
VM_DBG.h:no known conversion for argument 1 from 'HardwareSerial*' to 'SoftwareSerial*'
SoftwareSerial.cpp:375:6: warning: always_inline function might not be inlinable [-Wattributes]
void SoftwareSerial*:setRxIntMsk(bool enable)
SoftwareSerial.cpp:121:6: warning: always_inline function might not be inlinable [-Wattributes]
void SoftwareSerial*:recv()
VM_DBG.cpp:968:22: warning: 'long unsigned int mystrtoul(const char*, char**, int)' declared 'static' but never defined [-Wunused-function]
Error compiling

It seems to indicate that VM_DBG does not correctly handle the SoftwareSerial option.  Selecting HardwareSerial will compile but it's not what I want.  Any one with an ideas.
Undecided

IP Logged

HansBear
Newbies

Re: Debug Compile Error
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 11:50pm
Print Post  
Problem resolved.  Instead of selecting "SoftwareSerial" from the drop down list typed in 'SOFTWARESERIAL" program then compiles and second comm port can be used for debugging. Smiley

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I re-looked at your report and you are configuring the wrong settings.

Please see the documentation here http://www.visualmicro.com/page/User-Guide.aspx?doc=Debugging-With-Different-Por...

You have to selected SoftwareSerial in the RemoteTransport property then enter rx/tx pins. Leave RemotePort empty

IP Logged

HansBear
Newbies

Reply #3 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I had configured it as per the manual and had no joy.  I've tried numerous combinations and none worked.  The problem is that the transport type must be in upper case for it to be recognized.  As per my second post I needed to type in SOFTWARESERIAL (all upper case) the port now successfully works and I'm happily debugging my code.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Okay thanks. I misread your initial post. RemoteTransport should work.

The fact that SOFTWARESERIAL works in the RemotePort suggests your code is creating an object called SOFTWARESERIAL but the object is based on HardareSerial. 

I am keen to understand this. Can you scan your code (Edit>Find in files) to see where SOFTWARESERIAL is defined. Or click SOFTWARESERIAL and press F12. How has it been defined and to which port/pins?

Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint