Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Arduino IDE for Visual Studio
 
 
When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-
  • Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties and Verbose
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled
 
Save the new Output to a Text File and....
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you
 
  HomeSearch Tutorials & Wiki visualmicro.com LoginHelpRegister  
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
External Dependencies (Read 5033 times)
Zeddicus
Newbies
*
Offline



Posts: 2
External Dependencies
Sep 14th, 2015 at 8:35pm
 
Hello,

I am just getting started with Arduino and am having some behaviors I don't understand.

I am working in Windows 10, Visual Studio 2015 / Visual Studio Online, Visual Micro 1509.14.0 and Arduino 1.6.5 / Uno.

I created a new project in Visual Studio and included SoftwareSerial.h from the add library menu.  Everything compiled and IntelliSense was working just fine.

After some time and for reasons I don't understand the #include has started telling me it can't find the source file and some words like String are showing as undefined.  When I compare to a new blank/working project the only difference I can see is that the problem project has nothing listed under External Dependencies.

I have started from scratch a few times and have not yet figured out what causes the External Dependencies to all disappear.  No amount of specifying or not specifying paths in the Ide location windows / running rescan / reload tool chains seems to make any difference.

If I toggle Show Arduino Library Sources the External Dependencies populates again but the compile errors do not go away.  When I disable Show Arduino Library Sources then External Dependencies is empty again.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Shaun
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Visual Micro
Administrator
*****
Offline



Posts: 10526
United Kingdom
Re: External Dependencies
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2015 at 8:52pm
 
Hi,

Thanks for the post.

1)
The next time it happens please close the project and then zip and email the project and its sub folders to info [at] visualmicro.com. You can exclude the source code if it is sensitive but it will remain private and be deleted after tests.

2)
Also try to change to a different board and back again to see if that fixes the issue.

3)
Please switch on tools>visual micro>verbose and then build and email the text that appears in the output window

Back to top
 
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Visual Micro
Administrator
*****
Offline



Posts: 10526
United Kingdom
Re: External Dependencies
Reply #2 - Sep 20th, 2015 at 5:31pm
 
Thanks for the files.

I have to install platform sdk to open your project so that will take a few more days.

One thing that will make it easier for you to move the project to a different future location would be to alter your folder structure slightly. It will also make it easier to check into source control but that might be too late for you Smiley

If possible the two projects should be below where the solution (.sln, .vsssc) files are saved.

I create a folder called IoTRoot and moved the two iothome solution files into it. Then put the IoTHome folder and Sensor folder below IoTRoot. Edited the two project paths in iothome.sln to be simpler and shorted "iothome\iothome.vcxproj etc."

If you had that structure then the IotRoot would work on any machine and from any location.

More to follow
Back to top
 
WWW  
IP Logged
 
Zeddicus
Newbies
*
Offline



Posts: 2
Re: External Dependencies
Reply #3 - Sep 21st, 2015 at 10:39pm
 
Thanks

I just sent you a new version of the project with everything in the correct structure.  I was playing around with the location of the sketch in the last one to see if it has any impact on the errors.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print