Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic ESP8266(?) Output Message Filtering Problem (Read 5128 times)
ccmwtf
Newbies

ESP8266(?) Output Message Filtering Problem
Oct 25th, 2015 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
I'm building for ESP and it looks like some gcc messages are being filtered out when displaying results in the Output window.  In this case there appears to be mixed \ and / in the path.  I think there may be other cases where the line doesn't start with a path (message split to multiple lines?).
Code
Select All
Executing from commandline:

...AppData\Local\V.Micro\Arduino\Builds\IRServerVS\generic\config.cpp.o: In function `Config::Config(String)':
...AppData\Local\V.Micro\Arduino\Builds\IRServerVS\generic/config.cpp:36: undefined reference to `timeString(long)'
...AppData\Local\V.Micro\Arduino\Builds\IRServerVS\generic/config.cpp:39: undefined reference to `timeString(long)'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Output window after compiling in VS:

config.cpp.o:In function `Config::Config(String)':
collect2.exe*:error: ld returned 1 exit status

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: ESP8266(?) Output Message Filtering Problem
Reply #1 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Thanks, actually I just fixed that yesterday. There will be a release later today I hope.

More info in the "work in progress" post
http://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?board=VS_ARDUINO_EXT_RELEASES

A very annoying problem and I think it's been like that for a while!!

IP Logged

ccmwtf
Newbies

Reply #2 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Great, thanks!

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2015 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Fixed in the latest release for visual studio there were a lot of missing messages as you correctly stated. The issue had got even worse since arduino started to use an updated toolchain a few months ago.

Double click drill down

The drill down into source should always be possible when line,column numbers show in the message. Other messages should often also drill down into the correct underlying core or library sources if additional paths were included in the original message.

For information

If you ask why not just show the message in raw form its because most of the paths are wrong and/or point to the wrong code location. Keep in mind that all .ino files are combined into a single .cpp in a temp folder for compile. So all project sources are copied to the temp folder and compiled from there. Line number for .ino sources have to convert from the combined .cpp file to the correct line in the correct .ino file, also taking into account the automatically generated function prototypes and includes that are placed before all .ino code. Finally vs can't interpret the file,line,col messages returned by the gcc compiler so the also get re-jigged.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2015 at 11:39pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint