Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic uploading different projects in 1 solution (Read 3190 times)
Henk Levels

uploading different projects in 1 solution
Dec 6th, 2015 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Hi,

I have a solution opened with 2 projects, see attached screenshot. I have 2 Arduino boards. Arduino one should be loaded with project "send" and Arduino 2 should be loaded with project "receive".
I can build both projects seperately by selecting the specific project in the explorer and right click build. But I can not upload project "receive". Is it possible to upload different projects to different com ports in one solution.
When yes, what am I doing wrong. See screenshot.
By the way the com5 port is for the "receive" Arduino. I have update yesterday the latest verson 1512.2.0
However when I look in Tools - Options - Visual Micro - General I see available version 1.1511.21????
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2015 at 9:27am by Henk Levels »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: uploading different projects in 1 solution
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Hi,

"Tools>Extensions & Updates" shows the downloaded version. The version in tools>options is an internal version of the api and can be ignored.

If you want to open a serial port to monitor a non-arduino port then use View>Other windows>Serial Monitor. This option doesn't affect the selected upload port of the selected project.

Click a project name in the solution explorer and set the upload port using the visual micro toolbar or menu. This sets the upload port for each project and is saved to each project.

4)
Right click a project in the solution explorer and click "set as startup project". This sets which project will upload when F5 or Start is clicked.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks

IP Logged

Henk Levels

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the feedback but I think I'm not clear enough.
I open 1 solution with 2 projects. Project 1 has to be uploaded to com5. Project 2 has to be uploaded to com4.
In the Solution Explorer I select project 1 and set this to com5. Next I select project 2 and set this to com4.
When I select project 1 (com5) and press upload then project 1 is uploaded to com4 while I should expect that project 2 is uploaded to com5 because it is selected in the solution explorer. See my previous screenshot where you can see that a project is selected in the solution explorer, but in de bottum window you can see that the other project has been uploaded.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Hi Henk,

I can say this is area is under review but before we can discuss it further I think you need to understand my previous point about the "Startup Project". This is how VS normally works and you will see that only one of the two project names in the solution explorer is in bold. The startup project is the one that the toolbar and menu controls currently upload.

I have a solution with two arduino projects and I have two boards connected on two different COM ports. In the solution explorer I click each project and select a serial port from the toolbar. Then I can see the port automatically change to the correct selection when I click in the solution explorer and select a project. If I right click each projects and click "Debug>Start new instance" I see the correct project is uploaded to the correct com port.

There is some confusion with the default way that VS works. It's possible to select something in the solution explorer whilst some other code is open and active in the editor. So you need to think about this point and how you the Ide should work with these conflicting selections. Currently Vm does what Visual Studio does when two windows or c++ projects are open however it's not necessarily intuitive for newer users. Therefore I suggest switching on "Tools>Options>Projects and solutions>Track active item in solution explorer". This won't entirely make things work the way you want but will help remove some potential confusion.

As I said, if you can first understand the various options that exist then we can talk about what the Vm toolbars might do different to what the VS bars and menus do. I hope this makes sense.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint