Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic ESP8266 how i got it working (Read 3751 times)
Walt
Newbies

ESP8266 how i got it working
Dec 16th, 2015 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
I finally was able to get the ESP8266 working with compiling and OTA.
My first issue was compiling.  The path to the compiler was wrong, so in order to get the esp8266 data in the correct directory, i simply installed the board through the arduino ide instead.
Secondly, i could not get OTA working.  First error was that the ip address was not showing up,  In order for the esp8266 to be discovered, Apple bonjour must be installed. I just installed the Bonjour for printers. Now you must install Python 2.7. python is needed because visual micro uses a python file to run that transfer the data to the esp8266.  After this i could then see that the python.exe was being called but failed with an error of file not found.  I copied the path and pasted it into the root of a cmd windows and it failed as well. I then posted into the python directory and the file was transferred!  So i added the path to python in the PATH command in the environments variable and it worked great !
This is a great IDE and once these few tweaks get worked out it will be fantatic. I am ready to upgrade to the pay version !

The last issue is that i cannot seem to get debugging, and perhaps it is just for the actual arduino boards. not the esp8266.  Can this be confirmed?

Yes debugging seems to work !  awesome.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2015 at 9:13pm by Walt »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: ESP8266 how i got it working
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2015 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update.

As far as I can see the problem for visual micro was related only to unpacking/installing the hardware definitions via Board Manager. For some reason the esp toolchain compressed files have been consistent issue. Visual micro uses a standard open source decompression library called SharpZipLib so it's strange it fails just with the 8266 files.

Next job move the hardware installer to using the 7zip api! Smiley

Thanks again

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint