Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) To Report A Bug - Esp8266 uses wrong archive name + compiler cache not working (Read 18731 times)
vbhomeben

To Report A Bug - Esp8266 uses wrong archive name + compiler cache not working
Dec 17th, 2015 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Friends, I comes from China.There are thoe cleverest programmers all around the world!!!

I have found a bug of Visual Micro!!!!

When I use VM for ESP8266 for Arduino 2.0.0 to compile,
I found that it always recompile the core libraries of ESP8266 every time I click the button "Compile".

It's strange because I never modify the code of the core libraries of ESP8266.

After working hours, I found that I just modify a string "arduino.ar" to "core.a" in the file “platforms.txt" in "D:\Arduino\portable\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.0.0" on my computer.

Yeah, "arduino.ar" is the new version of the name achieve file, however the Visual Micro still use "core.a", which is used in previous version, leads to the problem of detecting the achieve file.
Suggest that if the IDE can't detect the "core.a" when we click the button "Compile", of course, the compiler would rearchieve all core libraries(*.o) to a the file "arduino.ar", which costs so much time, often more than 15 seconds in Visual Studio 2012.
OK, that's all, just fix it, baby.
A solution is update the string "core.a" to "arduino.ar" of Visual Micro when click button "Compile".
Remember that there is the cleverest programmers in China.
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2015 at 6:49pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Jo Sto
Ex Member

Re: To Report A Bug of Visual Micro!!!!!
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
vbhomeben wrote on Dec 17th, 2015 at 4:08pm:
Friends, I comes from China.There are thoe cleverest programmers all around the world!!!

I have found a bug
of Visual Micro!!!!

When I use VM for ESP8266 for Arduino 2.0.0 to compile,

Hello, one of the cleverst programmers around the world: Arduino 2.0.0? I thought 1.6.7 is the last

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2015 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Hi clever man from China. The reason why other people might not be so clever is because they have to waste time deleting six copies of the same post instead of studying new tech. One post is fine thanks.

Here are some observations..

1) 2.0.0 relates to the version of the esp toolchain that you have installed and not the version of the Arduino Ide.

2) In esp8266 platform.txt, the archive file name is hard coded to be "{build.path}/arduino.ar" so how would it be possible to an application like visual micro or the Arduino ide to know the name of the file?
Code
Select All
recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/arduino.ar" "{object_file}"

3) In the platform.txt definitions designed by arduino (and other arduino compatible manufacturers) you will see a variable called "{archive_file_path}" is used. This allows the Ide(s) to provide the name of the .a archive file. This is the example from the arduino/avr/platform.txt
Code
Select All
recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}"

4) When compiling 2.0.0 of Esp, the Arduino responds in exactly the same way as Visual Micro.

5) In my test, the 2nd compile uses the cached versions of all core .o object files but the .a archive is always rebuilt. 

6) For me, the first compile of an empty esp8266 project takes 15 seconds, the second takes 2.3 seconds.

7) I have switched on your forum email notifications (as suggested in the forum joining instructions) otherwise you won't know when you get replies to your posts.

Conclusion - Bug in esp8266 please report to esp8266.com

Thanks very much
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2015 at 9:08pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

vbhomeben

Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Haha, guys, so interseting!!!!
Actually it works well when I test comipling in Arduino 1.6.5 with the ESP8266 2.0.0 package, and the achieve file wat built as "arduino.ar". It doesn't works welll just when I click the button "Comiple" in Visual Micro.

However, previous projects that I built with Visual Micro, which use "core.a" for the achieve file but not "arduino.ar"(because I have never found a "arduino.ar" file in the build path of previous projects folder( elder than 2.0.0 ).

I guess that if the Visual Micro works fully same as the Arduino IDE, why the problem will just be solved when I put a file "core.a"(even just need to build a dummy empty file name "core.a", it also works well) into the build path of a project built by Visual Micro?

So it seems that the compiler launched(notice that "lanuched") by Visual Micro just detects the achieve file "core.a", which just exist in previous projects, but not "arduino.ar" that is actually exist in the platform.txt.
Arduino works well but Visual Micro doesn't, which makes me atrributing it to the different act by Visual Micro instead of the bug from ESP8266 2.0.0 package.

In my opinion I also agree with you that plugins like Visual Micro will never know the string of "arduino.ar" which comes from platform.txt(because Visual Micro just "launch" the compiler).
I also agree with you that I should send a report to ESP8266.com.
But please just tell me why Arduino IDE works well but just doesn't in Visual Micro?
Still, there is the cleverest programmers in China, who has best social skills besides best software techs.
Thanks for reply, administractor.
Six copy just for drawing attentions, since I guess that you must be a man who click fast with mouse buttons.
If there is a more private way in reporting bug(bugs or not really bugs), I will never make six copies.
I believe that you would never thought deleting six copy is so boring Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2015 at 12:49am by vbhomeben »  

IP Logged

vbhomeben

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 1:06am
Print Post  
I know that the newest version of Arduino  is just 1.6.7 but not 2.0.0.
2.0.0 is the version number of the ESP8266 toolchain for Arduino.
And the problem occurs when I just update the 1.6.5 ESP8266 toolchain to 2.0.0
And I just solved it by modifying the string "arduino.ar" to "core.a"(however just temporarily but not fundamentally)
By the way, Visual Micro is so cool. Smiley Smiley SmileyBecause I think Visual Studio is the most super IDE all around the world in coding in C/C++ families and Visual Micro connects it with Arduino!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley
I am one of the fans of Microsoft.  Smiley Smiley
Here are some extra advices:
1.Add a progress bar to the main window of "Visual Micro Explorer" when users click the button "Manage Boards" and "Manage Libraries" because overseas users's connection is so slow that sometimes it's boring while they are waiting for the  updating process in the background. Adding a progress bar which let users know the real time progress will be much better.
2.Add checking boxes to the boards or libraries items that users want to update one time. and add a progress bar to show the real time of installing or updating progress will alsow be much better.
3.I started programming from 2001. I was 26 years old, I have experience in more than 20 projects consit of software from different industries which leads to two millions lines of coding in Visual Basic 6/.NE, Visual C++, C# and embeded C, also assembly in x86, 51, AVR, MSP430, CortexM3, and ARM7TDMI.
4.I was not intersted in deep digging for the reason.
But you will definetely benefit from my advice.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2015 at 1:15am by vbhomeben »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Visual micro uses a new optimization system released in Arduino 1.6.6. You can switch back to the older 1.6.5 system via the options but I don't want to discuss that with you because it will take too much time.

Right now, for you, Visual Micro does what the Arduino 1.6.6 does. If you report the issue to esp8266 and they correct their platform.txt then I am happy to look at this discussion again.

Any suggestions you have are appreciated if they are made in the correct forum board otherwise they dilute the answers in this post.

If you have a 15 second compile you should post or email the verbose output so we can see what is being compiled. As I said even with 1.6.6 I get a 2.3 second compile.

Thanks very much

IP Logged

vbhomeben

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2015 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Thanks for your attention! Smiley
From another perspective, the problem which occured is:
If I use the string "arduino.ar" in "platform.txt", when I click the button "Compile" in Visual Micro, it won't detect that the source file is same as the recent moment I clicked the compile button, however it acts different in Arduino IDE 1.6.5, which means that the compiling process launched by Arduino IDE can detect this situation but Visual Micros can't!!!!!That's the reason why I attribute it to a bug of Visual Micro but not ESP8266 toolchain.
I believe that if you see the situation on my computer, you will be on my side.
Since you said that the Visual Micro launched the compiling process fully same as the Arduino IDE, why the bug would occurs?
OK, I will try to figure it, and try my best to prove that it's not the bug of Visual Micro. Smiley

PS:
Or my question can be descripted like:
1.Who build the makefile of the project?Visual or the ESP8266 toolchain?
2.Does the makefile check the core libraries source file whether they are modified to decide if it's necessary to recompile them?And How?
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2015 at 11:35am by vbhomeben »  

IP Logged

vbhomeben

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2015 at 10:00am
Print Post  
And, you said that "Visual micro uses a new optimization system released in Arduino 1.6.6"
Does it means that it's better to use 1.6.6 than 1.6.5? Huh

However, I am sad to tell you that I have tried the Arduino IDE 1.6.6 with ESP8266 Toolchain but the problem is still not solved!!!! Lips Sealed Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2015 at 11:39am by vbhomeben »  

IP Logged

vbhomeben

Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2015 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
This is the source of Arduino IDE 1.6.5(also similir as 1.6.6), which focus on the function "isAlreadyCompiled", used to judge whether the source file is modified, if it's modifed, then recompile it, if not, use the .o file built before.
So how does the Visual Micro acts?
Why does the Visual Micro recompile the source files even I never modify them? Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2015 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Hi,

1)
It might help to see a verbose compiler output and also a zip of your sketch/project folder (inc sub folders). It sounds like you have switched off a project setting that controls date/time comparisons. (tools>visual micro>verbose)

2)
As I have said my test compiles in 2.3 seconds the 2nd time. The verbose output clearly shows that all unchanged sources are not recompiled, instead the .o files are used. The only thing that always happens is that the core.a is recreated using the existing .o object files. This is what I thought your original complaint was about. Maybe you are saying that many files are always recompiled so let's see in the verbose output??

3)
In Arduino 1.6.6 we have the new facility to create archives when compiling libraries. Each library author can control this process. This means that when the compile previously only ever had one .a archive it can now produce multiple. 

Visual micro has to be automatically compatible with all arduino versions, yet each arduino version does things only one "hard coded" way. I am happy to implement that many variations between all arduino versions but there is a line to walk between necessity and complexity. For this reason it seems pointless to have a crude system that auto detects  .a archive when the platform.txt can easily use the correct published official settings.

Summary

In terms of the archive it's a lot of fuss about a minor change that esp8266 can make.

However if you are suggesting that .o files are being recreated when sources haven't changed then this is not what I would expect and we should look at what settings might have been altered for your project or environment.

I am having a problem understanding exactly what the issue are that you are discussing so I look forward to the 2nd time compiler output and files requested above.

Thanks

IP Logged

vbhomeben

Reply #10 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Yeah, guy, I am so glad that you finally have got a littble bit understanding of my problem.
And I know the option item "Verbose Messages", because I always try to guess how the compiler works by leaving this option turned on.
To you second point "2) The only thing that always happens is that the core.a is recreated using the existing .o object files. This is what I thought your original complaint was about"
I am not complaining about the point you descripted, because I know that the Arduino IDE 1.6.5 or Arduino 1.6.6 will also rearchived the file using the object files collections that compiled before each time we compile the project, but my problem is, when I click the compile button in Visual Micro, it also "recompile" all sources files, not "rearchieve" all object files to a "core.a" or "arduino.ar", you know that?
It's recompile but not rearchieve, this is what confuse me, because I never modify the source files however it always recompile them, can you image that more than 20 seconds   are wasted by compiling again and again?
Now I have a way to solved temporarily is to modify the "arduino.ar" string to "core.a" in the platform.txt, it works!!!!
Visual Micro will not recompile those source files again and again!!!
But I want to know the real reason that leads to the problem!
And last, a question for the verbose message:
How will the verbose message be when someone else compile the project 2nd times?
Can you take a screenn print shot and show an example for me here?
Then I can judge and compare.
Here on my computer, I can tell you that, nothing of verbose message will be different when I click the 2nd times to compile!! 

In conclusion, it seems like that the Visual Micro never know that so many object files have been compiled and it recompiles them agagin and again, which is boring!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2015 at 4:29pm by vbhomeben »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I am trying to help you but you are not making it very easy.

You reports are not clear so I have asked for a verbose output so that I can clearly see what is compiled when the cache is active. 

It is not possible to understand from your reports what the situation is so the verbose output will show this to me.

You can either post the verbose output or you can email it to info[at]visualmicro.com

Do you understand this request?

IP Logged

vbhomeben

Reply #12 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
OK, please wait a moment!!!

IP Logged

vbhomeben

Reply #13 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Come on guy!

Situation:

Visual Stduio 2013 Update 5
Arduino 1.6.5
Visual Micro 1512.14.0
A dummy project build by Visual Micro

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #14 - Dec 20th, 2015 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the outputs which show a full compile each time. 

If cache was working then you would see "Using previously defined ..." like this:-

Code
Select All
Build Core Paths ...
Using previously compiled file: C:\Users\.......\nodemcuv2\cont_util.c.o
Using previously compiled file: C:\Users\.......\nodemcuv2\core_esp8266_eboot_command.c.o
etc.

1)
For you to see a full compile each time we need to look either at what command you are using to "Build" or at your project settings. What command are you using to build?

2)
I asked you to zip the project folder and any sub folder and to either email or post it to me. The reason for asking for the zip is that I want to see if you have switched off compiler caching. Please zip and email or post your dummy sketch folder with its sources and sub folders.

3)
Please explain the difference in the build process after you have implemented your "arduino.ar" to platform.txt and post the verbose output.

Thanks very much

IP Logged

vbhomeben

Reply #15 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your reply!
But I am sorry to tell you that I have never seen the  "Using previously defined ..." like what you said, that why I was confused.

More Detail, please read the word document! Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2015 at 2:31pm by vbhomeben »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the very nice information.

I think you are saying that the compiler cache does not work unless you change the .ar to core.a in the platform.txt

I can not replicate this problem. The compiler cache always works in my tests. I have not changed the platform.txt.

I will continue to think about why this affects you but I am pleased you have a solution. 

The perfect solution is for esp8266.com to use the published {keyword} in platform.txt

To answer question about build commands. Yes it is good to use the visual micro toolbar but all the Visual Studio commands also work:-

• Build>Build (Ctrl+Shft+B)
  • Build>Rebuild
  • Debug>Start (F5)
  • Debug>Start without debugging
  • Project>Start new instance
  • +++

Sometimes people click "Build>Rebuild" which will drop some of the cache and re-compile. So I asked the question to be sure there is no confusion Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2015 at 2:56pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

vbhomeben

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
OK, I got understanding of the point about the commands.
By the way, my OS is Windows 8 +  VS2013
So almost you and me can confirm that the comiple cache doesn't work, yeah?
So please help me to figure out why compile cache in my comptuer doesn't work, thanks a lot!!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Question:-

Is this folder name correct or have you changed "User1" for public posting on this forum? Is User1 on your computer a chinese name?

C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\V.Micro\Arduino\Builds\Dummy\nodemcuv2/Dummy.elf

IP Logged

vbhomeben

Reply #19 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
Bingo!!!! Yes!!!!

I have modified the username for the public posting!!!

Before being modified, it's a username written in chinese on my computer!!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

What can I do for you? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

By the way, although I temporarily solved the problem by modifying the "arduino.ar" to "core.a", I don't think this operation can make the compiler cache work normally, it just makes the compiler skip some steps and finally hide the essential problems!!!Do you understand? Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2015 at 3:27pm by vbhomeben »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #20 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Maybe that is the problem.

1)
Please create a simple folder name for the temporary build system. This is where the cache is stored.

Example: c:\myVisualMicro\Builds

2)
Copy the name of the folder you have created into "Tools>Options>Visual Micro>Compiler>Temporary Build Folder"

Then try two builds.

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: To Report A Bug - Esp8266 uses wrong archive name + compiler cache not working
Reply #21 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Hello,

Did you test setting a different temp build folder as described above?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2015 at 6:49pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

vbhomeben

Re: To Report A Bug - Esp8266 uses wrong archive name + compiler cache not working
Reply #22 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Yeah, I have tried the solution you provided yesterday and the problem is solved now!!!!

It's really because of the compex path, which has Chinese name!!!!

However, sorry to tell you that, modifying the "arduino.ar" to "core.a" works faster than the solution you provided to me, though it's not perfect, but I will use my solution at the same time.
The reason why modifying "arduino.ar" to "core.a" works faster is, the compiler skip the comipling process of the core files instead of checking and archieveing it, which cost serveral seconds.

I am sorry I care about these seconds, becasue waiting is a little boring which will influence my programming effiency.

Programmers produce more than 500 lines code perday almost care these seconds as me.

Anyway, thanks for your attention and hope you can fix the problem of complex path detection in the next version as soon as possible.
Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #23 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Great. I will try to test windows temp folder using a Chinese user name 😊 

You  should ask esp forum to correct the platform.txt

IP Logged

vbhomeben

Reply #24 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Yes, I do........ Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #25 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Thanks 😊

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint