Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Save project bug if save new projects when created is NOT ticked (Read 5208 times)
Phil C
Newbies

Save project bug if save new projects when created is NOT ticked
Dec 22nd, 2015 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Hi there,

I have just spent a frustrating hour trying to get started with Visual Micro in VS 2015. When I created a new Arduino project I was unable to save it. I just kept getting a message box say the operation could not be completed.

I finally tracked it down to a setting in Visual Studio options. If you got to Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions -> General there is a setting "Save new projects when created". I usually work with this un-ticked so that I don't end up with loads of scrappy test projects in my project directory.

Anyway, if I put this tick back in place everything works fine. This is a work-a-round not a solution. Visual Micro should really let you choose to only save the project when you want to not when it is created.

Keep up the good work.

Phil

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Save project bug if save new projects when created is NOT ticked
Reply #1 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Hi, I think that's a bug in Visual Studio. I can't see why it would prevent you saving the project.

« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2015 at 7:48pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Another thought is that the "File>New>Arduino Project" menu item will probably work okay. This will create your test projects in documents\arduino leaving "File>New>Project" to use your standard location(s). 

There is no difference between the projects that both options create.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2015 at 4:06pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Phil C
Newbies

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not so sure about the bug in Visual Studio since all other project types the I have worked with (e.g. C#, C++ VB.Net) honour this option and work fine. I am using Visual Studio 2015 Professional by the way.

It looks to me as though the Visual Micro extension is not aware of this option and does create the original project in a temporary fashion which can subsequently be saved permanently using the Save or Save all menu option. The clue here is that when you click Save the IDE asks for a project name and suggests the project name you originally specified with "1" appended. I would have expected it simply to save the project with the name I specified. This suggests to me that as far as the IDE is concerned the original project already exists (and possibly cannot be overwritten).

FYI File->New->Arduino Project fails in exactly the same way.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Hi,

The thing is that when you use "File>New>Project" you simply have a Visual Studio "new c++ project" template that creates a project. Visual Micro doesn't play any part in that. When you save you are simply saving a C++ project and Visual Micro does not play any part in that. This is why I feel it is a VS bug.

Another point is that the "File>New>Arduino project" creates the project immediately by calling the Visual Studio new project wizard in the background and then Visual Micro adds the required .ino source code. There is no possibility in this scenario to create the physical project later.

The last point to consider is that Arduino doesn't use project files. For an arduino compile the physical folder is inspected for files. Visual Micro works the same way in the root of the project folder unless you change the compatibility settings but I don't recommend that because it makes life more difficult.

If you want to make any suggestions or investigate why a new C++ template project does not honor the setting I would be very interested to hear your findings. Having said that there are some files that Visual Micro will always want to create such as the intellisense helpers and settings files in the __vm folder it creates below each sketch. So I am not sure how that will work and wouldn't want to divert more important dev work to investigate.

IP Logged

Trevor T
Newbies

Reply #5 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the work around. I have been trying to find out what is wrong with the add-on for some weeks to the point where I have gone back to the Arduino IDE.

This is a must fix for Visual Micro

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint