Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Can't seem to hide the watch (expressions) window (Read 4370 times)
FrankP

Can't seem to hide the watch (expressions) window
Mar 8th, 2016 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Hi,

In Visual Studio 2013, when I upload a sketch in Debug mode (i.e. with F5), I get a serial monitor window and an 'Expressions' (watch) window.  The watch window always shows up on top of the serial monitor window, so I always have to move or close it.  Since I don't have any watch expressions enabled, I would prefer not to have this window come up at all.  I have looked through the docs and found that I can see the 'Watch Expressions' menu item under 'Other Windows' in the serial monitor Debug menu, but I can't seem to check or uncheck this item.  I can check and uncheck the other item here (the AGuage visualization example). When this item is checked, it is visible.  When unchecked, it is hidden.  However, I can't check or uncheck the 'Watch Expressions' item, so I can't disable the darned thing.

What am I missing here?

TIA,

Frank

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Can't seem to hide the watch (expressions) window
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Hi,

If you move/dock tool windows they should always re-appear in the specified location(s).

It sounds like you have debug enabled and simply want a serial monitor. Change the tool bar combo from "debugger/local windows debugger" to "Release" then build and upload again. This will give you a non-debug version of your code and the debug windows won't open.

If you want the serial monitor open all the time: You can open the serial monitor and position or dock it. Then leave it open, Visual Micro should detect it is open manage the port correctly during upload. 

Does this help?

IP Logged

FrankP

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Tim,

Thanks for the quick response.  Your post did not address my problem directly, but the hint about docking the serial window gave me a clue that lead to a solution.

My problem Is that I want the serial monitor, but don't want the watch window laying on top of it (floating window).  The serial monitor debug options menu shows the watch window as an item under 'other windows', but does't allow the user to enable or disable this window (as it does with 'AGauge').  I tried docking the watch window with the serial monitor window; this worked, but the watch window always started on top of the serial monitor - so that didn't help.  Then I tried docking it to the main code window at the bottom, and this did the trick!  Now when I bring the system up in debug mode, the watch window is hidden at the bottom of the main code window (along with 'Output', 'Call Hierarchy', etc), and the serial monitor comes up by itself - YAY!  Grin

Frank

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2016 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
I see Smiley thanks for the explanation  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint