Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How to use the SysGCC toolchain in a Visual Micro project? (Read 2862 times)
Jeff Gray
Newbies

How to use the SysGCC toolchain in a Visual Micro project?
Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
I have purchased a license for Visual Micro.  I made that decision because it seems that Visual Micro is a useful tool and has some support for ESP32.

In the past, I have developed some code for Arduino Unos and Nanos using Arduino IDE.  It is extremely easy to use and has tons of libraries and community support.  I have also written code in AtmelStudio for non-arduino Atmel micros such as the mega645A.

This past year, I have come to the conclusion that the Arduino hardware (Uno, etc.) are “toys”.  They are extremely useful, but the hardware and Arduino IDE create a false sense of understanding of code development methodology.

The ESP32 is the next-generation platform for IoT “toys”.  While I have been moderately successful in creating some “toy” applications for the ESP32 using Arduino IDE, I want to get more serious and develop code that can be more easily debugged, in an environment that uses intellisense, and creates an experience similar to Visual Studio / Atmel Studio.  Hence the purchase of Visual Micro.

That being said, I have also purchased a license for VisualGDB, which is also a plug-in for Visual Studio.  VisualGDB also provides some support for the ESP32... but ZERO support for arduino libraries.

For a vMicro project, under Project Properties, C/C++ additional include directories, there are a TON of files listed, separated by semicolons, which primarily come from the following folder (with subfolders):
$(ProjectDir)..\Arduino\hardware\espressif\esp32\

On the VisualGDB side, VisualGDB projects have a Toolchain of: ESP32 in C:\SysGCC\esp32 (VisualGDB Project Properties, MSBuild settings).

I don't see any way inside a Visual Micro project to to include the SysGCC\esp32 toolchain.  Therefore, I am unable to compile code that uses libraries from this toolchain (primarily located in my C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp32-bsp\esp-idf\components folder).

Can someone please tell me how to include these files from the SysGCC\esp32 folder into a Visual Micro project?

I have probably spent 40+ hours trying to make this work.    I have not been able to get Visual Micro to compile using the C:\SysGCC\esp32 toolchain.  So on one side, I have half a solution (Visual Micro) for Arduino code, and on the other side, I have half a solution (VisualGDB) for the libraries from espressif for the ESP32, but I can tell you with great certainty: two “half-solutions” do NOT make a whole solution.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: How to use the SysGCC toolchain in a Visual Micro project?
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2018 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Sorry I missed this post.

Esp32 is supported using any tool chain published to be compatible with the arduino ide 3rd party hardware spec.

Projects are configured automatically when you select a board from the tool bar or vMicro menu.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2018 at 3:50pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint