Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) ESP 32 SPIFFS upload data files (Read 10956 times)
Esteve

ESP 32 SPIFFS upload data files
May 9th, 2018 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
I'm using the ESP32 board as a web server and using the SPIFFS as a web files repository, but there is not any tool to upload these files inside visualMicro, there is one tool using the ESP8266.
I have to use the Arduino IDE to upload them, since exist one tool that can do it.
Is there are any plans to include this tool?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: ESP 32 SPIFFS upload data files
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2018 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
The menu item should appear.

Which core are you using for your esp32 board?

IP Logged

Esteve

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2018 at 7:36am
Print Post  
I'm using the Adafruit HUZZAH32 – ESP32 Feather Board that has the ESP-WROOM-32 core

The arduino esp-32 uploader could be found here https://github.com/me-no-dev/arduino-esp32fs-plugin

IP Logged

Esteve

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2018 at 8:10am
Print Post  
When I try to upload from the menu (Publish Server Data Files) appears these error
ESP8266FSUpload.exe
SPIFFS Not Supported on esp32

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2018 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. There is an update here you can try
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2018 at 9:46am by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Esteve

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2018 at 7:59am
Print Post  
Thanks a lot
Works perfect

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2018 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Good to know thanks.

I forgot to put in the release notes that is supports password auth, not sure why it's missing from the esp .jar

IP Logged

Arecon

Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2018 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Hi

Is there now a standard function for uploading files as part of a sketch?
I'm also looking for a way to have the functionality of the "data" folder people have with the Arduino IDE and ESP32.

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
I believe this was put in for another user, please see release notes. If you are using atmel studio you might need the next update they happen less frequently. Why not use visual studio?

IP Logged

Arecon

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
I'm using Atmel Studio for all microcontroller programming because it is C and C++ and in my opinion Visual Studio is only great for C#.

I really hate the way Visual Studio ignores my folder structure and separates code files from header files. I have a project with more than 20 classes and without folders this would be chaos.

I actually thought about switching to the hideous Visuals Studio Code and Platform.io because Visual Studio Professional makes even a small project look like a total mess.

I just started experimenting with ESP32 and I'm still learning how development for this platform works. At the moment I'm trying to use the graphics library TFT_eSPI. This library makes use of some Arduino framework functionality associated with a "data" folder in a project that stores files in a separate partition on the flash memory.
In the future I would also need such a functionality to embed HTML and JS files which could be presented by a webserver running on the ESP32.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2018 at 3:36pm by Arecon »  

IP Logged

Arecon

Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
The attached files show an empty STM32 project in Visual Studio and a part of my current project in Atmel Studio.
Can you imagine mixing all these files together and having to scroll all the way up for the headers and all the way down for the code files while not losing the overview?

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Generally it is better to create your own threads for any questions. This avoids the original user of this thread from receiving unwanted emails.

The Solution Explorer "View" you see in Atmel studio is called the "Physical Files" view. It shows you the physical folder and files of the project(s). In Visual Studio there is a small button above the solution explorer called "Show all files". This switches the solution explorer to the Physical Files view that you like.

Atmel studio is a competitor to he semi-conductor company that makes the esp boards. The conditions of using atmel studio do actually state you should not use it for other non-atmel/microchip hardware. For this reason I have tried to keep as much non-atmel stuff out of atmel studio.

Visual Studio supports many languages especially c++ however it uses a slightly different flavour of c++ that can cause false intellisense errors for some advanced underlying syntax. Atmel studio suggests it handles this advanced syntax however in many cases the "handling" is just to ignore things it does not understand where as visual studio might show an intellisense error. Visual Studio will correctly show #if conditional code as disabled, atmel studio does not.

Each IDE has some benefits however Visual Studio is much more mature and better supported that atmel studio. Furthermore the Visual Studio gallery is much easier for me to work with therefore sees more regular updates and fixes.

I don't support custom button in atmel studio. That system is part of atmel and if it isn't working there is little I can do.

IP Logged

Arecon

Reply #12 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I didn't know about the restriction in the license conditions of Atmel Studio but it makes sense.
I will install Visual Studio on my embedded development VM and see how VisualMicro looks with it.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #13 - Oct 31st, 2018 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
I doubt anyone will care that you use atmel I just mention it so you can see why I try to steer away from it for esp Smiley

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #14 - Jan 25th, 2019 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint