Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) delay is visual studio (Read 4162 times)
bb84592357

delay is visual studio
Jun 12th, 2018 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
i installed the extension in vs2017, and sometimes i get "we'll automatically report this delay to microsoft" notification. i have to kill the vs2017 process and start over again Sad anyone else having the same issue? i suppose it happens because of the extension since i dudn't use to get the notification before installing it.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: delay is visual studio
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Hi,

No other reports of this. Is the build happening when the "delay" is shown?

Please switch on vmicro>compiler>verbose then build and email the output to info[at]visualmicro.com along with a link to this thread. This will show us some of your config save you telling us.

Thanks

IP Logged

bb84592357

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
i haven't used the extension. the notification comes when i'm browsing a c++ project, actually...

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
The only thing that can be is your virus checker. Visual micro can't control those windows. All it can do it place .zip files with vs templates in a folder below the extension which vs auto detects and unpacks when it needs to.

Open task manager > process when the delay happens then sort by cpu usage (make sure you are seeing all process for all users if applicable). This will show what program(s) is causing the issue

If you install the visual micro extension then in tools>options>visual micro>location>assembly you will see the path where vs has installed visual micro. Below that folder is "Project Templates" which contains the .zips.

Visual Studio has full control of this. Maybe you just need to leave it one time to sort itself out. How long do you wait each time it happens?
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2018 at 7:05pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

bb84592357

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
visual studio is actually at top by cpu usage.

it happens when i have a project open on vs, then i lock my computer, then after some time open vs and try to edit and save code in vs.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Oh I see, I will trace it to see what might be.

IP Logged

bb84592357

Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
okay.

p.s. actually, i find arduino ide itself more convenient, so how can i remove cache data from the extension from my computer completely? i uninstalled it, but still getting the notification.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Hi

I think this is a VS issue ....

Visual studio manages the install and uninstall of extensions. An extension is not an .exe program it is just dlls that Microsoft load when they want to load based on if an extension is installed.

The Microsoft vsix installer is responsible for installing extensions and any dependencies an extension has. The only dependancy visual micro has is C++ and for that we just tell microsoft we need their c++ extension.

The visual studio extensions are .vsix files. You can download the visual micro .vsix extension from the visual studio gallery. A .vsix file is just a zip file and when the vsix installed runs it unpacks to whatever folder it wants and then configures visual studio to load the extension.

Extensions are uninstalled from "tools>extensions and updates" which again uses the vsix installer to uninstall. When an extension is uninstalled it disappears from the list in extensions and updates.

The Help>About window in visual studio confirms which extensions and VS tool chains you have installed.

To be honest it sounds like a bug in VS 2017 possibly caused by the vsix installer but can't really be attributed to Visual Micro.

IP Logged

bb84592357

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
actually, that may be true, cause i got the notification after updating to vs2017 v.17.0 and higher.

at the same time i installed the extension, so i wasn't sure which one caused the issue.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
vs2017 v.17.0 and higher.

I don't understand this? There isn't a v17 and what does "and higher" mean?

Quote:
Actually, i find arduino ide itself more convenient.

You didn't create/build a project and try any of visual micro so maybe worth exploring sometime. It's much faster build system and many other helpful features.

IP Logged

bb84592357

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2018 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
v15.7.0, ny bad. and by "higher" i meant the patches  15.7.1 etc.

i love though that the extension has auto complete! just needed to make sure this delay wasn't caused by it.

and i searched on google, and nobody actually complained about vs update causing a delay... that's why i thought the extension was guilty

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
No probs, thanks for the update.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint