Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How to get variables into Expression window (Read 2733 times)
RalphF

How to get variables into Expression window
Jun 20th, 2018 at 4:24am
Print Post  
I don't understand how to get variables into the Expression window. I read one of your help pages that says all of the variables in the sketch are loaded but my Expression window is always empty.

Thanks...

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: How to get variables into Expression window
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Please take some time to read the debug section of the documentation or ensure that Tutorial Mode has not been switched off then debug a project that does not have a breakpoint that you have set.

Thanks

IP Logged

RalphF

Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
So variables only show up in the Expression window if you create a breakpoint and an Action and add {variableName} between curly braces...whew...that's a lot of work when you're used to programming in VS and clicking on a var and assigning it to the Watch window. I'm guessing you can't get vmicro to work that same way? Just seems like a lot of work to be able to watch the value of a var.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
It's often better than serial messages, allows you to update the value of variables on the fly and/or produce graphs. 

It might improve one day but my time gets taken with forum support for people who don't read the docs or that have usb issues Smiley

IP Logged

RalphF

Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
>It might improve one day but my time gets taken with forum support for people who don't read the docs or that have usb issues

Wow! What an insult. So it's my fault I had usb issues and posted for help and that took your time to try and help me. I did read your debugging help docs but in all fairness, your screen shots are showing an older IDE version, so in some cases, it's only 50%-70% helpful and one has to try and guess what the solution is based on out of date screen shots. I understand the amount of work required to keep up the screen shots and I probably wouldn't update them perfectly either, as you don't. But to insult me is both unnecessary and unprofessional.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Hey it's no issue and no insult intended. I've answered 1/2 of the twenty thousand posts in this forum over 8 years mostly for free so was just a statement of fact.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint