Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic arduino builtin functions are not colored (Read 2375 times)
JOHN SMITH
Newbies

arduino builtin functions are not colored
Nov 21st, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
hiĀ  i have VS2013 installed and Arduino 1.8 , and Visual micro latest version installed , everything is working . and code is compiling and everything . 

There is however one thing that is bothering me , the arduino builtin functions ( serial.print .. digitalwrite .... etc ) are not colored , i want to know why is VS not recognizing them and treating them like normal functions .
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2018 at 12:10pm by JOHN SMITH »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: arduino builtin functions are not colored
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
We use the standard visual studio system for this. If you look at tools>options you can alter your own theme in very granular detail OR just switch between Dark and Light.

There is normally a Visual Micro Arduino theme that can be selected that has more "arduino like" functions/method colors however I can't see the theme in my test install so will investigate.

In the meantime take a look at "tools>options>environment>fonts & colors"

IP Logged

JOHN SMITH
Newbies

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
thank you for the fast reply .

1- yes that is correct the arduino theme is missing .

2-I tried that in fonts and colors , i found in the display items : " C++ functions " , i changed color to yellow , now all functions ( my functions and arduino functions) are all in yellow , so no luck here either , should have i changed the color of something else ??

I have VS2017 on another machine it suffers same issue 

regards

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Sorry for the confusion. The arduino functions and your functions are just c++ functions. We do not distinguish between them.

Actually the list of arduino functions that might be used for this is only a partial list, giving the most common arduino functions in a different color. That can be confusing and because VS does things "properly" you won't see the color functionality that you are expecting in VS.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2018 at 2:04pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Jo Sto
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
After reading this, I checked with myself. And indeed, in *.ino coloring does not work, in *.cpp it works.
In Tools-> Options-> TextEditor-> File Extension *.ino and * .pde is set to Visual C++.
But that worked sometime, as far as I remember ...

IP Logged

JOHN SMITH
Newbies

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Nov 21st, 2018 at 2:04pm:
Sorry for the confusion. The arduino functions and your functions are just c++ functions. We do not distinguish between them.

Actually the list of arduino functions that might be used for this is only a partial list, giving the most common arduino functions in a different color. That can be confusing and because VS does things "properly" you won't see the color functionality that you are expecting in VS.

ok thanks , so my expectation was wrong ... my only concern with that was not making a mistake by defining variable or keyword that is used in arduino 

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2018 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Visual Studio and the C++ compiler should warn of that and yes you do need better than a few keywords being color. 

You can also click "vMicro>Toggle Hidden Files" which includes the underlying core in the project as shortcuts to assist intellisense but without affecting compilation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint