Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cannot upload to ATmega328P Xplained Mini (Read 2543 times)
TVG
Newbies

Cannot upload to ATmega328P Xplained Mini
Jan 24th, 2019 at 3:40am
Print Post  
Hi, I've loaded an existing *.ino file into Amel Studio with vMicro and successfully created a working project. It's a simple LED Blink program that works fine in Arduino IDE, however I cannot get it uploaded to the Xplained Mini board with vMicro (to use vMicro debugger). 

I read some previous posts about selecting the programmer as "Atmel mEDBG" and checking "Always use programmer for upload" and I have done that, yet the upload fails. Here's the output from vMicro Build:

Compiling 'Blink' for 'Atmel atmega328p Xplained mini'
Program size: 934 bytes (used 3% of a 32,256 byte maximum) (0.70 secs)
Minimum Memory Usage: 9 bytes (0% of a 2048 byte maximum)

Uploading 'Blink' to 'Atmel atmega328p Xplained mini' using 'Atmel mEDBG'
The uploader returned an error

It fails the same way whether the debugger selection "Atmel Studio Debugger" is checked or not.

The only way I can get any success is to select "Atmel Studio Debugger" from the vMicro>Debugger Menu AND edit the project properties under "Tool" for the Selected debugger/programmer and select "mEDBG" and "debugWire" interface.

However, now clicking the build/upload icon, when compile finishes, it pops up the Atmel Studio Device Programming window where you have to select tool, device, and interface to proceed. This is a lot of clicking around to get the device uploaded. And this doesn't allow using the vMicro debugger!

There has to be a way to get vMicro to upload to the Xplained Mini board (without selecting Atmel Studio debugger and uploader) and be able to use the vMicro debugger, right?

What is the way to go about it?
Any help is appreciated.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Cannot upload to ATmega328P Xplained Mini
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2019 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Hi,

In the arduino ide are you using programmer upload or normal upload?

The arduino ide is confusing, you might see that a programmer is selected but it is not used unless you click "upload using programmer". Otherwise you are using normal serial upload without programmer.

What exactly do you click to upload in the arduino ide and which board is selected?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint