Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Visual Studio 2019 can't Find vMicro (Read 3260 times)
SGF-COL
Newbies

Visual Studio 2019 can't Find vMicro
Mar 24th, 2019 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
I had vMicro on VS2017.  Then MS told me my VS2017 was a Pro release and my trial license had expired.  (How I got pro, I don't know.)  Anyway, I uninstalled that and decided to install 2019preview.  Went well.  Installed vMicro. Appeared to go well.  BUT I don't see vMicro on the menu bar as I did in VS2017.  I went to Extension Manager and it shows Arduino IDE for Visual Studio as installed.

I also noticed that VS2019 doesn't show "Project" on the menu bar until a project is opened, so maybe "vMicro" doesn't show until something is opened.  But I can't find a way to open a project using vMicro.

I remember that last time I loaded vMicro through a different path than the Arduino site.  Maybe Arduino IDE isn't vMicro?

Anyway, I need help.

IP Logged

SGF-COL
Newbies

Re: Visual Studio 2019 can't Find vMicro
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2019 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
I might add, I did download the Arduino IDE using the link to the version for VS2019RC.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2019 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
For VS preview and rc releases please keep an eye on the releases section of this forum. The 1903.18 release if for VS2019 Preview 4 and RC.

https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?board=VS_ARDUINO_EXT_RELEASES

fyi: 

VS2019 includes some breaking changes for older IDE's (2012,2017) therefore the release was held back a few days to ensure the smoothest change over.

Only Visual Studio Preview 4 and RC contain the breaking change.

The Arduino IDE version is unrelated to Visual Micro, it is only used to compile or for intellisense when using avr boards and for some libraries (also available in library manager). Regardless of Arduino being installed, Visual Micro should work with the new releaseĀ  Smiley

VS2019 prevents extensions from creating a top level menu, instead Microsoft has moved the vMicro menu onto a new "Extensions" menu. To workaround this there is a new "Micro Menu" tool bar which contains only the vMicro menu button. This gives the same ability as in previous VS versions to easily see the vMicro menu. 

In Visual Studio you should always be able to create projects using File>New>Arduino Project and File>New>Project>C++ or to open an existing Arduino project not previously used in Visual Studio you can use File>Open>Arduino Project.
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2019 at 3:56pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

SGF-COL
Newbies

Reply #3 - Mar 24th, 2019 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
I couldn't get it to work so I uninstalled the Visual studio 2019 and reinstalled VS2017, then loaded vMicro.  Things working well now.
I'll wait for vs2019 & vMicro to settle before trying again...

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2019 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Okay you can install multiple ide's side by side, they don't conflict.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint