Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Wrong value in IDE location drop-down on opening Micro Explorer/IDE location subwindow (Read 3394 times)
dok

Wrong value in IDE location drop-down on opening Micro Explorer/IDE location subwindow
Apr 11th, 2019 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
When one opens Visual Studio, there’s a toolbar dropdown combo box, its current value is that of the selected IDE, like 1.6 or the Visual Micro (No IDE) selection.
Open the Micro Explorer Window, the Ide (spelling mistake, IDE would be proper?) drop down there has the same value – naturally, one would think.
Press the IDE Locations menu, the  “Configure Ide Locations” (same spelling mistake?) window opens, stating “Please specify a micro-controller Ide location” (spelling?).
There, instead of the current, active, value for the selected IDE, in the drop-down combo-box, it now defaults to the first item in the list, always “Arduino 1.6/1.8”.
I don’t see and don’t know which effect whatsoever changing that combo-box value has (none, also a bug?!), but the feel of it is that confirming the window by “OK” button would switch the current IDE location (and all that entails) to another value, so as it stands, to Arduino 1.6/1.8.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Wrong value in IDE location drop-down on opening Micro Explorer/IDE location subwindow
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the post. 

Firstly I think you are saying that "Ide" should be "IDE". We will change that thanks.

As concerns the IDE locations window I think maybe there is some small confusion here. 

When Visual Micro opens it will show the last IDE and board that was selected.

When the Micro Explorer first opens it will show the IDE that is currently selected.

To change the IDE and/or Board for the current session use the vMicro menu or the tool bar

To change the IDE and/or Board for a project, ensure the project is open with code editor active and then change to the IDE/board that is required.

The IDE Locations window is unconnected to the current IDE settings because it allows to you remove the location of an IDE therefore removing it from the lists when using Visual Micro.

The IDE Locations window is also available via Tools>Options>Visual Micro, this is because it is just a "Setup"window and should never need to be opened ruing normal course of using Visual Micro.

The IDE locations window enabled you to configure the locations of multiple IDE's such as Energia or an older Arduino version. The list of ides you see on the tool bar and the vMicro menu is filtered to only show IDE's that have a location/path configured against them. Therefore the list in IDE locations is always ALL IDE's where as the other lists are just the ones that are currently available for use.

I hope this makes sense. If not then sorry I am being thick and please elaborate some more.

IP Logged

dok

Re: Wrong value in IDE location drop-down on opening Micro Explorer/IDE location subwindow
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2019 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Dear Tim,
it's OK as far as the items in the list get filtered down, but I still disagree with regard to the current value in the combo box in the IDE locations window. One may very well wish to go there in regular maintenance, for instance to configure the optional sketchbook location. If the dropdown value for IDE unwittingly changes, all the logic just melts down, and quite easily an incorrect setup may ensue from casually opening and closing via "OK". Don't you agree?

Besides, I really can't imagine any issue with pre-filling a combo box with the current value instead of a dead default, it does not confuse the user, and all the list items are there to choose from just as otherwise.

-Dirk
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2019 at 2:18pm by dok »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Yes it makes sense thanks. I think we need the current app to show when the window opens from the boards list and the currently selected explorer app when opened from the explorer.

This would make a lot of sense.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2019 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
This has been added to the next release

IP Logged

dok

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Dear Tim,
contrary to the entry in the Release 1904.23 changelog, stating

"The IDE Locations dialog opens showing the currently selected application […]"

I have to report back, that the issue with the IDE drop-down combo box is not resolved at all.
Please keep in mind that the hiding of entries in the optional sketchbook location textbox and the optional board manager URLs with each incorrect entry in the IDE combo box, there is a real issue with malconfiguration happening.

Oh, and I've noticed just now, that in the Micro Explorer, next to the Vm icon, it still spells Ide in the wrong case letters Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2019 at 12:54pm by dok »  

IP Logged

dok

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Release 1904.24: tooltips for each of the top-level menu item in the Micro Explorer window still spell "ide" (lower case). Some punctuation fixes might be in order, too.
The combo box in "Configure IDE Locations" still does not default to the current value for it, causing confusion for the active values of "* Enter the ide folder location" (ide not in capitals, again Wink ), sketchbook location and boards manager urls.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
I found the vMicro>General> Open IDE Locations(s) was not passing the current app to the config window. Other areas seem to work okay. Maybe just the built-in NoIDE option doesn't get selected when you open the dialog.

Some other spelling fixes here thanks

Download 1904.24.12

IP Logged

dok

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 11:04am
Print Post  
This is still not fixed. Also, the combo-box overlays the caption to the right of it, I believe.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Hi, assuming you are using Visual Studio 2017 or 2019 then I can not reproduce the problem. I must be missing something here

Can you pleas provide a couple of screen shots or short video of the ide before click, then what you are about to click and the dialog that opens incorrectly positioned.

Thank you

IP Logged

dok

Reply #10 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Sure, here they are.
See Aboutvs.png to find out about the installed version of VS.
Idelocs.png should make clean what the situation is, after I clicked "IDE Locations" in the Micro Explorer window.
The installed version of Arduino IDE for Visual Studio is 1906.3.0, installed on 2019-06-04

PS. I don't have any of the Arduino IDEs installed in this system.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2019 at 11:06pm by dok »  

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2019 at 11:25am
Print Post  
Thanks for the clarification. This seems to be an issue only the IDE Locations button on the platform explorer and only when it first shows each selected platform. We will fix that thanks.

A workaround seems to be to use the alternative way to open the IDE Location via the "vMicro menu>Application" or the "Micro Boards bar>Application" combo-box facilities

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint