Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic License and payment (Read 3773 times)
the_menda14
Newbies

License and payment
May 10th, 2019 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Weel this question borns when I read this text: A perpetual license of Visual Micro Pro for non-profit use. Install on 1 computer for up to 1 user in total. Includes 12 months of updates (when available), after that time updates will either be free or at nominal cost.

I don't understand what's the difference after 12 months.

I love the plugin, nice, really nice, but I want to know what about this before buying.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: License and payment
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2019 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Hi,

Thanks for the post. Not sure I am entirely clear about the question but maybe this will help.

When you purchase Visual Micro you are legally entitled to us the version you are buying forever. Over the following 12 months, after purchase, you would also receive all enhancements and fixes. 

After 12 months it is up to Visual Micro to allow the updates to continue for free or to offer updates at a small nominal fee, (if you want them). 

So far we have not made this charge but most companies do and we do need more resource/help. Thereforemaybe this will change one day.

Often, when you buy the software it is for a particular version and if there are bug fixes and enhancements you receive the updates free for 12 months. If you don't want any updates that's up to you then in theory you never need to worry about support other than moving machine or reinstalling windows.

With Visual Micro, in theory, it is the same. For example if you spend $29 now and over the next 5 years receive many updates and also upgrades to new IDE's. Then the original $29 won't cover our costs in producing the software. So one time payment + updates free for life probably is not a realistic model especially considering how fast arduino, visual studio and all the platforms change, it's a constant job to keep the software current.

Does this make sense?

IP Logged

the_menda14
Newbies

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2019 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks for such a quick answer. Thats exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to buy a license.
One question more. What happens when you reinstall windows or moves to another machine? Will I be able to use the plugin with my visual studio account?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2019 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Sometimes you might need to email and request a license key reset. Currently this is usually free, certainly in first 12 months, but currently a long time after that also.  It kind of gets wrapped up in the previous discussion about support. When the software is "unlicensed" mode, you can still use it but see nag screen once per day. 

As sales increase we also hope to make a more flexible license system where users have a control panel to manage their activation(s)

There is some trust in all of this at the moment, has been for many years, we are trying not to take the line of most commercial software companies and hope that good reviews and blogs from our users will generate enough new customers to keep the flexibility.

Thanks

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2019 at 1:22pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Dave1001
Newbies

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2019 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on May 10th, 2019 at 2:55pm:
Sometimes you might need to email and request a license key reset....

As sales increase we also hope to make a more flexible license system where users have a control panel to manage their activation(s)

Hi Tim 

Have to say I really do appreciate all the hard work that's gone into Visual Micro - its a great product and we're happy to support you! The ability to deactivate/reactivate a license key would be great (in my case I rebuilt my PC and reinstalled with VS2019 in past week or so - have emailed you to see how to reactivate license please).

Silly question but do you need any help? i.e. given that Visual Micro is pretty much in the sweet spot for folks like myself with not much money but lots of time - have you thought about how there could be community-driven contribution to the codebase or features? 

Thanks again

Dave

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - May 16th, 2019 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Hi Dave,

Even though we only promise a year of free updates, yes have been very happy to have you as a customer since 2015 and to have reset your license for free quite a few times over the years + provide free updates. We are always hoping that, one day, you might spend that $20 on support. It's tough to make something based on trust, sometimes I think that people are happier when they know they have no choice but to pay for something.

Great offer thank you! If you would like to get involved with supporting the Visual Micro project with a little blogging, testing and leaving a few nice and informative reviews around the web then we will no longer be hoping for the $20 support to arrive from yourself. We would also be happy to upgrade your license from the $29 single pc to the $45 3 pc version.

Does this sound workable for you?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2019 at 4:56pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint