Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Slow builds after last update (Read 1770 times)
Tim Long
Newbies

Slow builds after last update
Jun 6th, 2019 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Dear all, since I installed Release 1905.29 into VS2019, my builds are taking For. Ever.

I've noticed that library "deep search" is taking a lot longer than it used to. Before, my first time build was slow but then as long as I didn't touch any libraries, the "deep search" and library build would take under 5 seconds. Now it takes around 90 seconds, every build, every time. As you can imagine, that's a pretty catastrophic impact on my edit-build-test cycle.

Something is clearly wrong here. Is there an issue with Release 1905.29? If not, then what else might affect this?

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Slow builds after last update
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Hi,

I don't think this is related to the Visual Micro update. Slow builds are normally related to a tool chain update or caused by the virus checker.

A compiler output as shows at the top of this page would help us know what you are looking at, hardware, versions etc. 

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim Long
Newbies

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
This is what gets displayed in the output window... Is that what you wanted?

Compiling 'TA.NexDome.Rotator' for 'Arduino Leonardo'
Build Folder: lease"
Program size: 27,140 bytes (used 95% of a 28,672 byte maximum) (63.51 secs)
Minimum Memory Usage: 1449 bytes (57% of a 2560 byte maximum)

IP Logged

Tim Long
Newbies

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Oh, my apologies, I've just seen the note at the top of the page. Understood. Here is my attached build log.

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks, it's certainly to do with tool chain and often that's caused by virus checker. For the compile all visual micro does it run the tool chain .exe files for each source file, you can see that in the output.

I suggest you delete the downloaded avr tool chain and avoid board manager if you can. The avr is installed with the arduino ide so whichever arduino ide version you use will determine the tool chain version. Delete folder C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Local\arduino15\packages\arduino and then click rescan or restart visual studio.

This will cause the exe files below the programs folder \arduino\hardware instead of from your c:\users.. area.

A change in the past months is to use shared cores so your core is only compiled one time. This option is enabled and the core was not built in your posted output. Therefore your compile was only 40% of a full compile, taking 50+ seconds is certainly not right.

You can avoid using deep search if you ensure any libs you need are #included in the project_name.ino. 

I would also look at excluding the build output folder(s) from the virus checker. I know for sure that some arduino tool chain versions are particularly affected by the virus checkers. It's a bit hit and miss with each version.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Tim Long
Newbies

Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
I did try removing the toolchain but unfortunately I have to use a nonstandard toolchain because of a linker bug that affects my project. My project wouldn't link after resetting the toolchain so I had to reinstall my special build.

I think you may be on to something with adding all the libraries to the .ino file. I've been doing some code cleanup and I may have removed some includes that were "apparently unused" (per ReSharper C++). I may look at putting those back.

Thanks very much for your suggestions, I appreciate you taking the time and I will follow through on them.
--T.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Turns out there was a problem. The project sources were always re-scanned and re-compiled for each build regardless of changes. Sorry we didn't spot it earlier, it applies to builds since the end of last months.

install 1906.12 from the releases section of this forum. 

Thanks for the report

IP Logged

Tim Long
Newbies

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2019 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 3:06pm:
Turns out there was a problem. The project sources were always re-scanned and re-compiled for each build regardless of changes.

Awesome - nice work! I just tried it out today and it is soooooo much better. Chalk and cheese. Thanks for resolving this one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint