Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 8 Replies) Cannot see ESP32 board in VS Micro (Read 2226 times)
Aros
Newbies

Cannot see ESP32 board in VS Micro
Jun 10th, 2019 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Hi, I just wanted to check out VS Micro. However, I have run into an issue right away. I have done the following. 

1. Installed the latest Arduino IDE
2. Installed esp32 via Arduino IDE Boards Manager
3. Installed teensyduino from the installer
4. Opened VS micro and refreshed the toolchain.

Now I can select both Arduino and Teensy boards from the list, but I cannot select ESP boards. Everything works fine in Arduino IDE.

Any ideas?

The difference between Teensy boards and ESP is that ESP got installed in the user profile and not in program files. Like this:

%appdata%\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Cannot see ESP32 board in VS Micro
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Hi,

The install locations are correct, Teensy adds to the Arduino IFDE hardware folder and ESP32 to the board manager downloaded packages.

Please follow the guide at the top of this page so we can see your configuration. This will show what paths you have configured and also hopefully which vs ide etc..

ps: The toolchain re-scan happens automatically each time the IDE starts. It's only useful to avoid ide restarted after installing boards (using vm or arduino) or changing config.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
ps: Arduino only saves it's board config when you close the IDE. So if you have added a json url for esp32 then installed esp32 and not shutdown the arduino ide then we will not see the esp boards. Close arduino IDE and then click rescan or restart VS.

IP Logged

Aros
Newbies

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jun 10th, 2019 at 6:42pm:
Hi,

Please follow the guide at the top of this page so we can see your configuration. This will show what paths you have configured and also hopefully which vs ide etc..

I am sorry but this is a bit confusing... What guide at the top of this page?

Also I have restarted everything many times. It doesn't help. Am I also supposed to fill in the "Optional sketchbook locations"?

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Sorry for not being clear. The instructions for enabling verbose compile with build properties are shown in yellow at the top of this page.

However we might not need it. This is standard config so we obviously have some confusion somewhere.

You only need to specify the location of the arduino ide in the visual micro config dialog. The sketchbook folder and board support package urls are inherited from the arduino ide but can optionally be overridden in visual micro. You do not need to override the sketchbook folder.

The sketch book folder is an arduino term for where your projects are saved and user installed libraries are stored. The default is myDocuments\Arduino

Can you please open the visual micro platform explorer then click the IDE Locations button (might need to make it wider to see the button). In the board support urls field for arduino 1.6/1.8 enter the path to the esp32 json file you have used. Also tell us here what url you have used? Is it the standard stable branch or some other?

After entering the url close the IDE locations dialog, make sure Arduino1.6/1.8 is selected in the platform explorer then click the Board Manager tab and install the esp32 toolchain by clicking on it in the board manager tree.

Normally installing the toolchain is not required because it is already installed into the arduino ide but this test can be a way to see errors and issues.

IP Logged

Aros
Newbies

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
The board manager URL is:
https://dl.espressif.com/dl/package_esp32_index.json

Also, while trying to install ESP32 again this time from Visual Micro, it says it is already installed. It can obviously see the libs, but I still cannot select the board from the platform combo box.

See the attachment. 

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 9:59am
Print Post  
I see thanks. I think the issue we need to investigate is what happens when two copies of the same toolchain is installed. That should not be possible because both the arduino and the visual micro board manager always remove previous and install new when you request to install new platforms.

Please delete %appdata%\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp32\

Then restart the ide just to be clean, then install the latest esp32 toolchain using board manager. Click rescan after the install or restart the ide.

Thanks

IP Logged

Aros
Newbies

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
OK, however, the older 1.0.0 version is not actually installed. The folder 1.0.0/libraries does exist on the drive, but it is empty. But anyway, I will try the steps you mentioned and let you know. Thanks

IP Logged

Aros
Newbies

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Hm, that indeed helped. However, no I am not able to install ESP Async Webserver library for ESP32, it does not find it. But I am quite sure it was visible by the Manage libraries tab before... I can of course install it manually, but it's a bit strange.

Thanks

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2019 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Thanks that is useful. The folders should be deleted when a new version is installed but obviously this has not happened for you. We will change our discovery to test for a couple of known files such as boards.txt and platform.txt to establish if a tool chain really exists

What is the name of the header that can not be found for the lib. Do you see what is shown in the image below?

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint