Before logging an issue, please update to the latest release of Visual Micro from the Downloads Page.

When Logging a Support Issue in the Forum, please ensure you have also:-

• Enabled vMicro > Compiler > Show Build Properties
  • Re-Compile your program with these settings enabled

Save the new Output to a Text File and....
  • Click the Reply button and attach as .txt file OR
  • Click here to Email us with the file attached, and a link to your post
Support requests without the output above may be impossible to answer, so please help us to help you

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Serial Monitor not working in version 1906.x.x (Read 9826 times)
Crimblepud

Serial Monitor not working in version 1906.x.x
Jul 1st, 2019 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
I'm using Visual Studio 2019 on a Windows 10 PC.

I usually have several Arduino & ESP8266 boards connected to my PC via a powered USB hub while developing.

Since updating to the Visual Micro Arduino IDE for VS 1906.16.1 version, I have had an issue where the first serial monitor opened is always blank. The toolbars are there, the connect button changes colour when clicked, etc. - just the main window is always blank - no "Port opened" message, etc. This is regardless of which COM port (& board) is selected - it always happens and always on the first serial monitor opened.

When opening subsequent serial monitors on other ports, usually they open fine, but randomly, one might also open blank.

If I unplug the device relating to the blank serial monitor window and use another USB port (& therefore a different COM port) when I open up a serial monitor window for that it is fine.

No such issues when using the standard Arduino IDE (version 1.8.9).

It happens with any project - not code related. I have tried with just one board connected to the hub - same thing.

I have tried nearly every version of 1906.xx released - all the same. However, if I revert back to the 1905.29.9 version, the issue goes away?

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2019 at 12:20pm by Crimblepud »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Re: Serial Monitor not working sometimes in VS2019 (Tool windows)
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Switch off "Switch off Tools>Environment>General>Optimize rendering for screens with different pixel densities" based on client performance. Then write to Microsoft and ask them to please stop breaking things Smiley

Another thing to watch for in vs2019 is if the background tasks are still running after opening the IDE or a project. A small icon bottom left of IDE status bar shows when the processes have finished. Open tool windows after that time, normally just a few seconds.

We will be converting our tool windows to WPF which apparently does not suffer this issue which is related to a scaling change in Visual Studio and is very apparent with the new windows 10 build 1903.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2019 at 10:06pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Crimblepud

Re: Serial Monitor not working in version 1906.x.x
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jul 1st, 2019 at 12:23pm:
Switch off tools>options>environment>automatically adjust visual experience based on client performance.

Have already tried that - has no effect - same things keep happening Sad Even if waiting for several minutes to ensure that all background tasks have completed. And it was happening before I applied the Windows 1903 feature update.

Have just retried with latest 1906.30.2 release - same thing.

I have no choice but to revert back to the 1905.29.9 version Sad

Please Register or Login to the Forum to see File Attachments

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Try switching off the DTR/RTS. I think they should be forced off for esp boards. Maybe this is the issue. I will look into it.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2019 at 6:18pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Crimblepud

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Sorry - should have mentioned that. Yes - DTR/RTS is normally off for ESP8266 boards, despite being pictured as on in my last post. Switching on & off DTR/RTS has no effect for any of my boards - Arduino Uno/Mega or ESP8266.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #5 - Jul 1st, 2019 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Yes this is not the issue that vs sometimes has. The windows are drawn correctly but the serial is not started. I will look into it thanks. How do you open the serial monitors?

Do you have three projects each with own port. Then click the normal serial monitor button to open?
or

Do you use open "Other" port for all but the one of the current project?

or
Do you switch the same project between the three ports then click the normal button to open the serial monitor?

or

are you saying you only have one open at any time but sometimes it is empty.

Please confirm if using debug or release. Does the build say "Compiling debug version" of x prior to opening the serial?
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2019 at 8:28pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Crimblepud

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Tim@Visual Micro wrote on Jul 1st, 2019 at 6:26pm:
Yes this is not the issue that vs sometimes has. The windows are drawn correctly but the serial is not started. I will look into it thanks. How do you open the serial monitors?

Do you have three projects each with own port. Then click the normal serial monitor button to open?
or

Do you use open "Other" port for all but the one of the current project?

or
Do you switch the same project between the three ports then click the normal button to open the serial monitor?

or

are you saying you only have one open at any time but sometimes it is empty.

Please confirm if using debug or release. Does the build say "Compiling debug version" of x prior to opening the serial?

I came across this issue with a VS solution that has two projects - one is for an Arduino Uno & the other is for a NodeMCU ESP8266. Each Project has it's own COM port usually opened by clicking on the normal serial monitor button.

I've tried with a number of other VS solutions - single projects & mulitple projects, some standard Arduino Projects, some Arduino Library Projects (with anywhere from 1 to 4 included example projects in the solution). I've even created a couple of new projects.

I've tried with both "Debug" & "Release" set for the solution.

I've tried combinations of Marc's suggestion (above) as well as your previous suggestion.

I've tried opening serial monitors in various orders, using both normal button, and the "Other" port method - basically think I've covered every way you mentioned.

Is always the same - first serial monitor window is always empty (as per COM3 in image previously posted).

It would appear to be random as to whether or not the second or third serial monitor is also empty - but this does appear to be happening more often with the newest 1906.60.2 version.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 9:10pm
Print Post  
Thanks @Crimblepud. We have not seen this issue before but will try to add some messages when the port is supposed to open so that we can see what might be happening. It's possible it is a windows issue with usb ports accessed via a hub. We currently use the standard windows c# system.IO.SerialPort system which is not as good as the lower level older port access which we will shortly move to.

IP Logged

Germán Martín
Newbies

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 10:23am
Print Post  
I am getting same issue here. I have two computers. With first the issue was solved with you suggestion to disable rendering optimization. But second one keeps getting no data from serial. I've tried several boards with different USB chips.

Code is uploaded fine and a terminal emulator can open the port normally.

IP Logged

Acuario

Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 8:15am
Print Post  
I've just updated to 1906.30.2 with VS 2017 and my serial monitor has stopped working. I checked with a terminal program and the hardware etc. is ok and I get an output, just nothing with VM, not even the normal port open/close messages when I connect/disconnect..

I tried a basic test, connect a loopback wire from tx to rx and manually send some data from the monitor. The led's on the USB to serial flash (tx and rx), so data is sent, but nothing displayed on the terminal window.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2019 at 8:29am by Acuario »  

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Hi all please try version 1907.5 from this forum

https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1562191911

IP Logged

Acuario

Reply #12 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Just tried and for me still the same, nothing. It is connected as the log correctly shows what I sent and led's blink.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2019 at 2:18pm by Acuario »  

IP Logged

Germán Martín
Newbies

Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
I've tried on my 2 computers. One works, second doesn't.

If you need any debug info please ask.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #14 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Please install 1907.5.3 which should fix the issue

https://www.visualmicro.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1562191911/0#0

IP Logged

Acuario

Reply #15 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
..not for me - I choose the com port (VS opens with an IP port), click on the open monitor button and get the following, click ok and VS closes.

I tried to open the monitor from the vMicro menu and it's the same.

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #16 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
@Acuario please open a new thread with your error report showing the screen shot you have now posted. I need to ask you some questions but your error is unrelated to this thread

Thanks

IP Logged

Germán Martín
Newbies

Reply #17 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
I get same "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object" message. I'll follow the new thread

IP Logged

Tim@Visual Micro
Administrator

Reply #18 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Hi all,

Please use this version which has better reporting when the serial window opens.

Thanks

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsT00oFsGAmRnp9Ndq12ynwnUTu-MQ
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2019 at 5:24pm by Tim@Visual Micro »  
IP Logged

Crimblepud

Reply #19 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
I installed the 1907.5.7 version. The "Object reference not set..." error dialog no longer appears but seems to be back to where I started - opened serial monitor for COM4& that appeared empty, opened serial monitor for COM6 and that was OK (see attached pic).

Closed the project & reopened it and tried opening serial monitors in reverse order: COM6 serial monitor window empty & COM4 serial monitor window fine.

Third time I opened the project serial monitor windows for both COM 4 & COM6 empty. This happened each subsequent time I closed & reopened project until I disconnected & reconnected USB connections between PC and the boards.

You mention about better reporting when serial monitor window opens? I'm a bit of a novice user - where do I find said reporting?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint